lathe accessories

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beegee

Reaction score
Hi all, First visit so here goes. I have a Clarke lathe with what I believe is a m20 x 2.0 pitch male stud on the drive side. I also have a 1/2" capacity chuck which is fitted with a No 1 mt arbor. My question is how do i attach the chuck to the lathe?
A friend welded a m20 x 2.0p nut onto a parallel arbor with a internal no 1 mt. Problem is it is not quite central and the whole thing being rather long, it will not run true.
I am working on a baroque lute for my son and need to turn some small pieces of bone to decorate the tuning pegs.
Any ideas? :?

I'm afraid that without an accurate custom made adaptor you can't (expensive).
I presume the chuck you are referring to is a 'jacobs' pattern, normally used in a pillar drill or lathe tailstock. If so it should itself be fitted to the morse taper shank with a shorter taper section, removing the morse taper shank would give you a chuck ready for fitting to a threaded adaptor with the appropriate taper to fit the chuck.

But it is my honest opinion, although possible it's all a non starter

Chuck taper information.

Thanks Chas. The Jacobs chuck has a 1/2"-20unf int thread, so ideally a M20x2 internal x 1/2"-20unf external would be the answer but as you say not a readily available item. I worked in the engineering merchant trade before I retired and spent a lot of time looking for a solution and thought I would try the experts. Once again many thanks for responding. Brian

Is this the CWL 1000?... puzzled by the metric thread - maybe a recent design change? Clarke list it as 3/4" by 16tpi. Machinemart list a screw chuck and a 4 jaw independant chuck for that model - don't know if either of those would do the job?

Dee

Thanks Dee, You maybe right about the thread. I do have the 4 jaw chuck. I had a quick look at it last night and thought I would not be able to get to close small enough. The pieces of bone are 6/7mm square and have to be turned down to a 3mm dia ball and then down to a 1.5mm peg. The annoying thing is I did turn 4 of these when I first got the lathe a long time ago but I cannot remember how I did then! I have to do 24 of them.

beegee":2xo5fx74 said:
Thanks Dee, You maybe right about the thread. I do have the 4 jaw chuck. I had a quick look at it last night and thought I would not be able to get to close small enough. The pieces of bone are 6/7mm square and have to be turned down to a 3mm dia ball and then down to a 1.5mm peg.
You can always grip a home made split collet in the chuck you have, drill appropriate hole in the middle and grip your pieces in that.Not exactly the form for your requirements but might give you an idea of what I'm suggesting.
collet.JPG

Attachments

• collet.JPG
    collet.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 88
beegee":37xoy2pf said:
.... have to be turned down to a 3mm dia ball and then down to a 1.5mm peg.

These I assume are for the end of the tuning pegs. Cheats have been known to use white map pins.

xy

You are right xy. Not heard of that ploy before but I think my son would suss me out!

There seems to be some discussion about the thread on your headstock spindle. This company has headstock taps, for use in wood, one may be correct for your lathe.
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/WOOD ... _TAPS.html
If there is a tap to fit, make a collet to accept your square blank and tap it to screw onto the headstock. For tightening the collet why not use tie wraps, one per pin, they are cheap enough.
xy.

Thanks everyone. Yes Roy that would certainly do the trick. Will have to look at the economics!

Latest posts

Back