Latest work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_tulip

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help with the photos guys - here they are for real
sycamore platter with carved celtic 'tree of life'
8327.jpg

splated and flamed beech with flutes and carved rim
9bc0.jpg

and one for fun from a while back which wont hold much water
P1010067.jpg

Stunning work there Geoff, the off lathe portion of the work is a credit to your skills and patience.

Fantastic stuff, I do like your "tree". I increasingly find that a little time spent "off lathe" can make something quite ordinary much more interesting. It just never turns out to be a little time, and I find that it takes me many, many times longer than the lathe bit did.

Not sure I'll ever manage anything quite like those, but we need inspiration and aspirations don't we.

Thanks for sharing them.

Dod

Geoff,

Really stunning pieces there. I love the fusion of turning with carving and it's something I've been hankering to have a go at myself for a while now but never seem to find the tuit for it.

I love the delicacy of the last piece, that must have been a bit fraught at times creating that. What do you use for the pierce work?

Fantastic work Geoff, I do like the carving it really helps to set of the pieces. As has already been said it serves to give the rest of us some great ideas.

thanks for all the kind comments - my wife and i started woodturning several years ago and have experimented quite alot with what can be added to a simple turning to make it that little bit special. it is not always possible - the wood dictates what you can do - sometimes a carved foot - sometimes an inlay - detail on the rim - a bead a cove is enough to add a shadow and change the look of a piece altogether.
the photos are of 2 recent pieces both are about 20" diameter - the beech bowl is fluted from rim tapering to centre and fading out - the rim has been carved and textured inbetween - the outside and been done using a router and then cleaned up with hand chisels - the rim with handchisels and a dremel type cutter.
the sycamore platter is again done with handchisels and a dremel type cutter. with both pieces most of the work is in the setting up and the design - there is not much 'skill' just a little patience.

These are really lovely!
Sometimes you see a turning that has been carved and it detracts from the wood. You have got it off to a fine art however and it makes me green. As soon as I feel I am reasonably proficient at the turning I would love to have a go at carving........if I'm not too old by then :lol:

Pete

why wait - it doesnt matter what your turning is like you can still have a go - it may not float your boat but makes turning a little more interesting - here is a good start which can look quite impressive and needs virtually no tools.
on the rim of a bowl/platter turn a bead (i use a small spindle gouge)- location is up to you but near the outside or inside edge works best for me. sand etc to finish as normal. with a normal file - i use chainsaw files file along the bead at intervals to create 'dimples'. be careful not to touch the bottom - looks great - a bit of sanding by hand and its done - looks just as well on the exterior of the rim aswell.

Back