Latest Vodafone rip-off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
They default your Mobile Hotspot usage to 50 MB each time you turn it on regardless of you using say hardly any data. I've been having to use my phone as a mobile hotspot since the landline cable feeding all our houses was chopped in half. I was turning it off when not in use.
I checked my usage and discovered that I'd been haemorrhaging data.

So I contacted Vodafone...caught with their pants down..."I've corrected the fault. You won't get it again". I asked what had he done. Evasive. More detailed and very specific questions. Just blanked and wouldn't answer.

B astards. Can't wait for my contract to end.

Oh two. Cheap, glutted with data, deals to die for, specially if, like moi, its SIM only, no tarty phone deals. "Gwan, gwan, gwan, Fadder Roger, you know you want to..." :D

Sam - who really has been to Craggy Island...

Not very related, but...
I got a text from EE - "We were unable to process this month's payment, please login to update your details and continue using your normal allowance."
There was a Tiny URL. I didn't click on it on my phone, but I did type it in on my Mac.

EE login page. I log in. Zero delay, not server hunting or anything. Please update your details. Name. Phone Number. Mother's Maiden Name...

What?

So I rang EE. It's a phishing text. So they have my name and a password I do use (but not for EE, I had typed the wrong one, by mistake). So I now need to remember everywhere where I use that password and change it. Fortunately I don't use it for anything financial or sensitive.
I used to work in IT and I always thought I would spot a scam. Well I did, but not quite as early enough as I would have liked.
Stay safe out there.

I've just binned off BT Broadband.

Apparently, my contract ended a few months ago and they upped the charge by £28 per month to £59. They never bothered to tell me this. Fleecing two hats

When I eventually realised, I rang them, gave them a piece of my mind - politely - asked what they were going to do about it and they offered me an 18 month contract at £11 more than a new customer. WTF?
So long story short, I am now with plusnet at £26.99 for BB and line rental. Their call centre is UK (think its Sheffield - so local to me). The best bit is they are owned by, you guessed it, BT!!!

Anyhoo, I think with the the £32 a month I am saving, I might start building a collection of Lie Nielson socket chisels.

Oh and RogerS - my mobile is with Three, not always the best coverage, but £20 / month sim only for unlimited everything. I'd recommend you get a PAYG sim and see if your home gets good coverage - i get ~30mb download through my phone.

I'm looking for a good deal for a very un-tech friend of mine. A company that runs on the back of Three (I forget its name) was recommended by a friend of mine, but he struggles with signal, and the signal map of Bolsover is not impressive (but then, neither is Bolsover itself, despite its Castle).
I'm with Virgin, good service & speed, but it comes at a price. I rather hope that by the time my contract expires, there will be better and cheaper options.

You need to haggle hard with BT. I’ve just renewed at £19.99 per month for unlimited Superfast broadband including line rental. I managed to get 500 minutes of free calls for another £4.99. So under £25 for both. I had to sign for 2 years but I was happy to at that price....

I have PAYG fom 1p mobile and O2, both work very well and very cheap for what I do.

RichardG":3sqtih2v said:
You need to haggle hard with BT. I’ve just renewed at £19.99 per month for unlimited Superfast broadband including line rental. I managed to get 500 minutes of free calls for another £4.99. So under £25 for both. I had to sign for 2 years but I was happy to at that price....
You could never pay me enough to sign up with BT. Once bitten....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RogerS":uuu6ehv4 said:
I have just looked at my bandwidth usage to see that that lying fecker Vijay ans done SFA and another effing 50Mb down the pan.

I understand your frustration Roger but can please refrain from using the protracted profanity (fecker, effing, and c**t from a previous post for example). It's unnecessary.

The same goes for everyone else.

I have a Sim deal with SMARTY which runs on the 3 network which is OK where I am. It's about £10 per month for 10GB (I think) and unlimited calls and texts. If I do not use the 10GB they refund part of the monthly charge. Since retiring I rarely use the phone or the data. Although I took some short videos yesterday that appear to have used over 4GB of data for some reason.

On coverage: my daughter has just returned from central America and said she had 4G coverage virtually everywhere and if she could get 4G in a field in Guatemala why does she have difficulty in so many places in the UK?

nev":35zmkpsd said:
RogerS":35zmkpsd said:
I have just looked at my bandwidth usage to see that that lying fecker Vijay ans done SFA and another effing 50Mb down the pan.

I understand your frustration Roger but can please refrain from using the protracted profanity (fecker, effing, and c**t from a previous post for example). It's unnecessary.

The same goes for everyone else.
Noted, Nev.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had enough of BT over the years too so I've been with Sky for a bit. Fibre only. They bite you too if you run off the end of a contract without noticing. Lesson is always call to cancel at the end of a contract. They invariably forward you to a salesman who tries to persuade you to stay. Negotiate properly. "If you give me 50Mbit/s unlimited service for £20 a month I'll stay, otherwise we close the account at the end of this call." style. Know what's the best deal on the market and ask for better. Be ready to walk away. And use the opportunity to ask for something that's worth money to you as well. In my case an upgrade to the latest (much better) router for about £7 postage. The new one's far better than the last model.
At the end of the call - I asked the guy why couldn't they just have offered a decent price in the first place - I know why - I was just curious to see what excuse they would trot out - he seemed shocked by the concept and more of less said "why would you ever expect a good deal without having to negotiate for it ?".
Doing the same on insurance has saved me hundreds a year compared to when I was too busy to take the time to shop around and move everything, every year.

It gets better. Woke up this morning to discover no cellular data available on either of our two mobiles. Spoke to Vodafone support...gave her the benefit of the doubt ...thought, what do I know ? Maybe it's coincidence that both phones decided to change their settings overnight and nothing at all to do with their network :roll:
Nada. Nothing. Do this. Do that. Restart. "I'll call you back to check you're back online in half an hour"

Bored. Drove into Carlisle to ensure I was picking up a different mast. Nada. Reverted my phone back to how it was before she asked me to muck about with the settings. Bingo. OK...nowt wrong with the phone. Finish off in Carlisle. Drive home. Phone data works. Look at handset ...yup, nice little H + logo back where it belongs. Their network.

Muppets.

Back