Latest project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look's great John :) I quite like MDF when it's painted. If I had to choose between real wood and MDF for a peice of furniture that I knew was going to be painted I would choose MDF as I hate to see real wood painted. I think it has something to do when my mum coloured washed my fire surround purple. ( I didn't care it if made it match the rest of her bedroom :cry: )

Thanks Charlie, the MDF is Ok but the cabinets are very heavy. I was a bit concerned about them falling of the wall especially as there are armchairs underneath them. They hang on a batten with a 45 deg cut on the top with a matching piece screwed to the back. I attached the batten to the (brick) wall with 100mm frame fixers.

John

Charley":3il65ks5 said:
I think it has something to do when my mum coloured washed my fire surround purple. ( I didn't care it if made it match the rest of her bedroom :cry: )
Ooo, that really cut you deep, didn't it? :shock: :)

Looks okay to me, John. I know what you mean about the weight though; it's a real drawback to MDF, in addition to the other ones. :wink:

CYC, your favourite what? How on earth can a french cleat be a favourite anything?! Man, and I thought I was obsessive... :roll: :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for all the kind comments :oops:

French cleat, I knew there was a proper name for my fixing method. I know it is strong enough but when it took two of us to lift them in place and that was without the doors it is still a little worrying. There a five 100mm frame fixings in each cleat!!

The lights are low voltage halogen downlighters bought from Screwfix. I quite like the effect of the light leakage above the cabinets, her indoors is still undecided. Any opinions?

The hinges are the Lamello ones where you cut the rebates with a biscuit jointer as used by Norm. Expensive but a cinch to fit once the jointer depth is set correctly. I assumed that the depth would be as for a size 20 biscuit but it is deeper than that. The Lamello jointer probably comes with a depth stop for these hinges (or it should at the price!!)

John

CYC, your favourite what? How on earth can a french cleat be a favourite anything?! Man, and I thought I was obsessive...

Favourite Cleat I guess :? I just wanted to name it and as you must have forgotten I am French thus the silly joke :oops:

CYC":12cjmftf said:
Favourite Cleat I guess :? I just wanted to name it and as you must have forgotten I am French thus the silly joke :oops:
D'oh. I had yes. Silly me. :roll: I was just being silly too, really. :D

Cheers, Alf

Great fixing method, and personally like the lighting effect. The only concern is dust being heated by the halogens, sticking and burning into the ceiling. Such is life with physics, but try explaining that to HWMBO.
To combat this, keep a radiator roller handy. Jam a splinter, or bit of wire, between the roller and the shaft it sits on. Dip in warm soapy water, and wring out until damp. Give ceiling a wipe down every few weeks.
Do not under any circumstances get caught doing this. This can only lead to the dreaded "Ahh.. while you have the stepladder out.." phrase. :lol:

Back