Latest Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This is the first in a new series that I have been developing in relation to hollow forms.

For some time I have wanted to move into a more sculptural type of work and to come up with something a bit different, this being the first of this development.

It is approximately 10 inches wide x 8 inches high x 3 inches deep. The base balances on its own with the form which is hollow all the way down to the base, being fixed to this. It is made of sycamore and has been carved, textured and coloured using various methods.

Comment welcome.

IMG_0026inst.jpg

Hi Mark,

A very interesting piece like it a lot, but now the question how did you achieve the hollowing out will have to pop over to your sight to see if you give info.

spasm

Like Phil, I see this as a breath of fresh air, no doubting the deviation is enhanced by the skills developed on the various turned themes of the past but the move away to a sculptural presentation bodes well for what's to come.

A stunning piece of work Mark. A lot of time,effort and above all,skill, has gone into the making of this. The end result was well worth it though. Look forward to seeing the next in the "series".

Cheers,
Dave

The next time someone argues the point of nothing being original or having been done before, I'd happiy buy this piece from you just so I could hunt them down and hit them over the head with it! (hammer) Although on second thoughts I'll keep it nice and safe and use one of my sculptures instead! :lol:

must admit i love it, whether or not people like your type of shapes or forms, colours or finials one thing stands out a mile.. sheer Quality..

Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments they are much appreciated.

Philip

Thank you, I am certainly looking forward to making more.

Spasm

Thank you for your comments. This being a new series for me which has taken a great deal of time and thought to get to the end result. As such the methods of making is not somthing I will go into at this early stage. The one thing I can say is that I have arrived at this piece through a lot of trial, error, investigation and challenging everything that I have made before to see how I can alter it. The whole process to date has tken me around twelve years and I know there will be another twelve a head.

Chas

thank you very much.

You are right all the pieces I have been making up to onw have all been rolled into one here, with a few twists and turns. I am enjoying the jorney I am on at the moment.

Dave

thank you very much.

There has also bee a lot of fear and frustration as I was not sure several times that it would even get finished but more likely asigned to the fire wood pile.

Hi Lee

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated. Yes one of your sculptural pieces should do the trick, particlularly the one with the nails in. :D

Jen

thank you very much for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated.

Steve

Thank you. One thing I do try to acheive with my work is the best possible result that I can even if it fails in the end. This attention to detail I think is what has helped me continue to refine my work. Obviously still lts of refining to do and there are parts of this piece that I would alter in the next.

Thank you all again .

It works on all levels doesn't it? Technically its great but as a work of art it stands out as something very special indeed. Its obviously your work but in a new direction.

Congratulations.

Mark

there are two things that i love about your work. One are your pieces which are just awesome, I see somethng diiferent everytime I look at them, whether it's the line, the shape, the detail, I find your work really quite meditative and contemplative, which for me is good thing.

The second is your honesty about the process you go through in getting to the end product. I appreciate that and it really helps me in my endeavour in to being artistic with wood.

look forward to seeing the next.

Well done =D>
Elaine

Hi Mark,

Amazing!!

The whole thing just screams quality of workmanship but the technique is the real mind boggler. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Really looking forward to see where you end up.

I think this can stand on its own merits against anything from around the world.

Regards,

mikec

Hi Gordon

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. I am looking forward to getting stuck into the next one.

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your comments, keep exploring and experimenting and for me the most important lesson I have learnt is how to be creative and as you know from the forum and the threads there are lots of resources you can tap into. I have a long way to go and I doubt the exploration will ever end but if I can help you can email me or have a look at my blog. There is also some useful links on my blog and web site may or may not be of use which tap into other creative makers resources.

Mike

Thank you , your comments are very kind. I am just fortunate and happy to be in a position to make as a full time vocation and to be able to have the time to make such pieces.

Thank you all again

Latest posts

Back