latest piece - finial box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
my first attempt at a box with a fine finial
what do you think?

100_1028.jpg

100_1029.jpg

100_1027.jpg

That John and his anti finial stuff - don't know wots good e don't. Finials for ever.

Anyway, to my eyes the finial is too complicated and not elegant enough for the box. It draws my eye and I hardly notice the shape of the box itself. I had to look again to remember what the box actually looked like. The two elements ought to be in balance with each other instead of fighting I think.

Having said that, it all looks well turned and finished.

Great piece of turning with a well fitting lid.

As to the finial my feelings are that it is a bit too much, I think the overall effect would be better with either just the ball or with just the top couple of inches ie. the slender part of the finial.

Definitely no witches landing on there!
one of the best fitting lids i've seen, couldnt see the join :) , lovely shape and a great finish, but i am with chris on this one. i think the finial is a bit too complicated. actually I'd say you have a choice of 3 or 4 finials in one there, any quarter would look good on its own.
fine work none the less, and something i'd be happy to produce meself :D

Well if you set out to produce a box with a fine finial, then you definitely did what you planned to on the first attempt, so that is impressive in itself. And to add to that, the result was very nice indeed.

And what's more, as others have said, you happen to have turned a beautiful box in it's own right as a starting point, so that is trebly impressive!

thank you for all of the kind words :)
i agree that the finial is a little much, the truth is that i just got a little carried away and didnt know when to stop :lol:
i will be experimenting with finials to see what shape is best for the boxes i turn

Back