Latest modern kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one without a dish washer?

I like this kitchen (apart from the floor).

It's a lot more interesting than painted shaker doors which seems to be the fashion now.

How practical it is I don't know as I'm no cook!

Well, this one is dividing opinions a bit.

I like the sink unit and huge chunky floating oak bit a lot, not sure the colour looks right on the doors and the floor is obviously madness.

Nice work.

Ollie

Am I the only one without a dish washer?

I like this kitchen (apart from the floor).

It's a lot more interesting than painted shaker doors which seems to be the fashion now.

How practical it is I don't know as I'm no cook!

We don't have space for a dishwasher so no you are not alone. My mother doesn't have one either.

I think there are a few too many differing elements. The solid worktop and the tall doors clash to me. Two, or is it 3 different worktops? As long as the client is happy. I'm always trying to come up with ideas of someting totally different for the kitcken I must build at home soon but no success so far. My kitchrn is a room 14m long and 3m wide.

I like the island and side table, the oak isn’t rustic other than it being a large expanse of figured oak which in itself is a bit farmhouse/barn look (well duh!)
I think I like the look of floor if only it wasn’t so impractical. The other units don’t really go, the fronts should be the same as the sink plinth and the doors should’ve been a closer match to your worktop.

Wow! The woodwork is nothing short of gorgeous, but the metal legs I am not so sure about. Were it mine, I think after five minutes of looking at them, they would be removed and send for powder coating in a deep black. I love the floor and applaud the reuse of vintage bricks, but would not have chosen it for my kitchen. That trolley (butcher's block?) is a work of art, but it is going to be a beggar to move over that floor! I am not a cheffy type and there seems enough space in the fridge/freezer for my needs (pizza, bread, butter, cheese, milk, coffee) so, with reservations about the floor, I think I would enjoy this kitchen. Very nicely done, Bob.

The counter tops are beautiful. I love the way the top of the drawer pull line runs across from the cupboard at one end to the integrated fridge at the other.

The two small prison cell windows though above the cooker... ugghhh... and that floor is just an abomination, looks like the kitchen was built on the walls

I'm inclined to agree, it's in a converted barn and the bricks are the originals from some walls so the client had them reused on the floor but I don't think they are 100% sure about them.
They would look a lot better with a Crystal-Clear-Epoxy-Resin FLAT SURFACE to make the floor more hygenic.

Could you explain vaguely rustic?
Your critisism is no issue Richard but I really don't understand you statement, no live edge, no knots, no splits, cracks, full stave wide boards (3) prime euro oak used.
I'd call it a solid prime european oak top, how do you get rustic? I guess my opinion of rustic or vaguely rustic is completely different to yours, maybe your a uniform grain man and i'm for a bit of character, who knows, be interesting to hear why you think it's rustic.
Rustic in some interpretations can, I suppose, mean live edges, knots, splits, and so on, although there are probably alternative names for that look. I don't think rustic is a description that can be specifically pinned to that aesthetic. I tend to think of the description rustic attached to furniture and furnishings as usually, but not always, denoting solidity and durability in service - typically, items created for use in rural environments have a hard life, and well made rustic items perform well. Of course, not all rustic items perform well, and can be crude in construction, which is not the same as simply constructed - simple can be excellent craft, but crude frequently means poor craft.

The meaning I intended in my comment was that there is in this kitchen one side of the aesthetic that has the solidity and strength (muscularity?) and timelessness of oak in quite large dimensions (but not massive) with substantial metallic supports coupled with something reminiscent of practical business like farmhouse kitchen quarry tiles (that from a practical point of view might actually miss the mark), plus there's the rather business like, almost commercial, grey sink unit.

Set against elements of the tough and substantial is the length of cabinetry and electrical items, some hidden behind the cabinetry, against the long wall which in comparison has a relatively delicate appearance seemingly springing from a lighter and more contemporary design direction.

I think you're aware that I have no criticism of the quality of the construction you've put into this kitchen. It looks to be as well made as every thing of yours I've seen over the years. It's just that there's something uncomfortable about the juxtaposition of, to me, seemingly divergent styling in one space. Slainte.

Rustic in some interpretations can, I suppose, mean live edges, knots, splits, and so on, although there are probably alternative names for that look. I don't think rustic is a description that can be specifically pinned to that aesthetic. I tend to think of the description rustic attached to furniture and furnishings as usually, but not always, denoting solidity and durability in service - typically, items created for use in rural environments have a hard life, and well made rustic items perform well. Of course, not all rustic items perform well, and can be crude in construction, which is not the same as simply constructed - simple can be excellent craft, but crude frequently means poor craft.

The meaning I intended in my comment was that there is in this kitchen one side of the aesthetic that has the solidity and strength (muscularity?) and timelessness of oak in quite large dimensions (but not massive) with substantial metallic supports coupled with something reminiscent of practical business like farmhouse kitchen quarry tiles (that from a practical point of view might actually miss the mark), plus there's the rather business like, almost commercial, grey sink unit.

Set against elements of the tough and substantial is the length of cabinetry and electrical items, some hidden behind the cabinetry, against the long wall which in comparison has a relatively delicate appearance seemingly springing from a lighter and more contemporary design direction.

I think you're aware that I have no criticism of the quality of the construction you've put into this kitchen. It looks to be as well made as every thing of yours I've seen over the years. It's just that there's something uncomfortable about the juxtaposition of, to me, seemingly divergent styling in one space. Slainte.

Yeh, sorry Richard, but you speak a completely different lingo to me........... still have zero comprehension of your statement or meaning 🤣

Back