Latest modern kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
All made and finished in house. Metal work done by a local mate, industrial look!

All oak is european, the worktop is 55mm (finished) solid.

qIpbT8e.jpg

V3PUhHt.jpg

P3yxjBD.jpg

cy4upGI.jpg

4IGNLVN.jpg

VqDGxIA.jpg

that floor would water me off something chronic. :)
I'm inclined to agree, it's in a converted barn and the bricks are the originals from some walls so the client had them reused on the floor but I don't think they are 100% sure about them.

most people use flash to clean a floor, these folks have to use brick wash. :)
to each their own, I feel that if I really wanted a brick floor in a kitchen (which to be honest would be a talking point if nothing else) I'd be tempted to put a clear epoxy floor over it.
I've seen how I cook, it would be stained and look terrible within a month. :) I know this because I didn't use a grout sealer on the tile floor and the grout got rather grey rather quickly.

I like it, but I can't help but feel that after the third or fourth time someone catches their toe on the metal leg at the end of the worktop they'll be asking you about cantilevered options ;)

Many kitchens look like they wouldn’t be too good for cooking in, though making everything one piece easy to clean with smooth curves looks like a travelodge bathroom or a prison, not sure which is worse…

Many kitchens look like they wouldn’t be too good for cooking in, though making everything one piece easy to clean with smooth curves looks like a travelodge bathroom or a prison, not sure which is worse…
A travelodge bathroom is definitely worse than prison.

I like it even though I'm not normally a fan of modern stuff (think I'm just getting too old and uncool).

Can you get fridges with dark grey/black interiors, everything else looks very designer but the fridge just looks like a fridge?

I like it even though I'm not normally a fan of modern stuff (think I'm just getting too old and uncool).

Can you get fridges with dark grey/black interiors, everything else looks very designer but the fridge just looks like a fridge?

Not that I've seen Doug, I didn't supply appliances. I prefer door on door Fridges rather than sliders, I'm also a fan of black glass ovens rather than SSteel.

Ugly. The mis-match between the slab overlay doors and units in oak veneer and grey paint along one wall, juxtaposed with the vaguely rustic solid wood island, and side table with the bent metal legs, and then the grey sink unit thing, plus the brick floor is all very disjointed thematically and aesthetically unattractive.

That's no criticism of the quality of your workmanship which, as ever, looks to be top notch. You make what the punter wants, invoice accordingly and, hopefully, move on, ha ha. Been there, done that. Slainte.

with the vaguely rustic solid wood island,

Could you explain vaguely rustic?
Your critisism is no issue Richard but I really don't understand you statement, no live edge, no knots, no splits, cracks, full stave wide boards (3) prime euro oak used.
I'd call it a solid prime european oak top, how do you get rustic? I guess my opinion of rustic or vaguely rustic is completely different to yours, maybe your a uniform grain man and i'm for a bit of character, who knows, be interesting to hear why you think it's rustic.

Last edited:
The brick floor wouldn't look out of place in the film Inception. The sink unit/worktop arrangement reminds me of Falling Water (I love that building).

I'm not knocking your friends ability but, in my opinion, the metal legs just don't look right. Compared to the super clean worktops, the legs look very unfinished. Again a personal choice, but I find it a bit jarring.

As mentioned though, the overall quality of the workmanship looks very good.

I think the legs go well with material that's on the side of the island.

Floor for me I would have used a resin or similar as mentioned above to make it serviceable - of course, it may only be the odd cuppa tea that gets made in there....

Great workmanship though - do you do the design yourself too?

Not as nice as others you have done Bob.

This looks like a designer kitchen rather than a cooks kitchen. So many are and as a cook I would hate it. Insufficient and low end refrigeration for proper cooks and not enough ovens, low end extraction etc. Brick floor uncleanable. Sink in the wrong place - how much time do we spend at a sink? Hardly any except rinsing veg as d/w does the heavy lifting.

Back