Latest KT Tools Prototype - Cutting Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":31mi844u said:
I think MrEd made some of those designs a few years ago?
Based on the Tite-Mark, Veritas types.

Rod

I did, here they are;

3035327087_03eb545888_z.jpg

3035329641_fd45afed49_z.jpg

I actually favour a more simple traditional design for my own use. It makes use of a scalpel blade for the cutter, which is obviously disposable for convenience and you can also put a pencil in the same hole and adjust the clamp bolt to suit;

2618278721_5106222b85_z.jpg

These were the subject of an article I did in F&C 135 back in 2007

Cheers, Ed

ed what did you do for the circular blades, so far i have found veritas ones at £3.60 a pop.

some nice gauges in this thread

adidat

adidat":1ofocwvm said:
ed what did you do for the circular blades, so far i have found veritas ones at £3.60 a pop.

some nice gauges in this thread

adidat

At the time I used Axminster, part number 600457, £2.30 each but it appears that doesn't exist any more. Veritas are prob your best bet. I did make some myself in A2, but the time it took wasn't worth it when you consider the cost to buy in.

Ed

AH.....and interesting turn of events this evening while I was at work!

I guess the lathes added a new dimension Douglas...sorry about that... :wink:

Yes BB....needed to make the "modifications" to make it work and Annie still hasn't discovered that her exercise bike (Mk1) is a countershaft frame for the Myford....mmmm =P~

Jumps my friend....you need to pop over to Douglas or mine when we meet up...I'm sure we Kentish lads need another meet up soon. As far as marking in mm......go wash out your shop with WD40....how very dare you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers for posting your beautiful gauges Mr Ed....I do believe your stem gauges were amongst the ones I found during my research and some elements obviously found their way into my mind! There are a lot of fine designs out there...and I guess we all have our favourites for differing reasons.

The cutters for the wheel gauges are something I was researching as well...something I will continue to look into as I develop the next project.... :wink:

Jim

I dug out a couple of wedge-held cutting gauges in my workshop, to check out the wedge shapes.

One of the wedges fell out into the shavings, and I still haven't found it. :(

This is annoying, but may constitute anecdotal evidence against the security of wedges!

BugBear

bugbear":2eln50oj said:
I dug out a couple of wedge-held cutting gauges in my workshop, to check out the wedge shapes.

One of the wedges fell out into the shavings, and I still haven't found it. :(

This is annoying, but may constitute anecdotal evidence against the security of wedges!

BugBear

Ah! The old "Stay-Set" problem strikes again! :wink:

These cutters also have two bevels but you will be pleased to know...they are not on the same edge! :mrgreen:

Jim

I probably have more books on vintage tools than there are vintage tool types but without doubt...the best source ever, is the old original catalogue and sales brochure.

This brief glimpse into the past BB....presents one with a perfect example of the wide variety of design options available at that time.

Here within this short list of examples we see many standards and "improved" changes as these fascinating tools evolved. Indeed, there is no singular gauge which will ever be the "right" one...I doubt if there ever will be. What there will be while these examples exist though is a great source of debate unto their individual merits.

Look at the cutter holders within this single page...look at the recessing of screws, the change from round to oval to D shape profiles in face design. Changes in materials used, evolution of technology and material refinement all play their part in producing the latest vogue.

Just this tiny backwater of the tool world will open up an intriguing research subject to anyone who cares about tools and future design. I thank you for sharing this perfect snippet.

Jim

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who know their tool history can choose to repeat it. :lol:

BugBear

Sorry for the delay, but the gauge has been in regular use. Jim did some tuning of the blade as I found the original too biting. More of that in a moment. It has been put alongside a Marples Trial One, and a vintage ebony/brass mortice gauge:
mg1.jpg

A few notes:
- I asked for a shorter stem (compared to the No1 version) - this is 150mm and balances nicely, with ample capacity for normal use. This is up to the individual but I use these in the range say 5mm to 35mm, hardly ever more. I would use this with confidence at say 80mm, but I hardly ever would.
- it is quite heavy compared to a wooden one. Total is 400g, with stem 220, head 180. But I actually like the weight.
- the head is 61mm dia, No1 was about 51mm. I am very happy with the size but suggest optimum my be around 55mm.
- I chose the lock-screw, based on an old Spiers I think and similar to one Jim made for an infill he has. Knurling is probably optional but I like how this looks and it has ample grip. The vintage by the way, is all screw adjustments - a nice tool but I could not live with it for that reason.
- under the screw is a sacrificial soft metal insert to prevent the brass stem marking. Jim gave me 3 spares but I am certain the one that's in will last forever.
- The wedge locks very securely, and is easy to tap out. Normally the blade would stay in a long time, but as I was messing with blade profiles it's been in and out a lot.
- The wedge serves as a rest for a left-hand finger to orientate the blade to the work - I often hold these with both hands, using left to draw the gauge fence into the stock.

The blade profile settled on is fairly standard I suspect - a rounded point, bevelled both sides. Tried a bevel one side only - failure on the tracking front. Too pointy causes it to bite.
mg3.jpg

One benefit of the rounded stem is the ease of seeing the blade at work (single left-handed due to a camera in right hand).:
mg4.jpg

In summary, I think it is a beautiful execution of a classic marking tool. It's very largely traditional, and essentially a simple tool. The difference is in the precision and the quality of materials, making it a delight to own and use.

Attachments

• mg1.jpg
    mg1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • mg4.jpg
    mg4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • mg3.jpg
    mg3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,052
Jim
That's a fine piece please let me know when to are taking orders

Best regards for a Merry Christmas

Peter

Hi Guys...and all others who have contacted me to order when the testing has finished....

The testing is now all but complete and we have settled on the optimum cutter shape...although others will be available by request.

I have a few more tests to do and some pricing calculations which I hope to have ready in the New Year so you are all noted and I will be contacting the interested parties on here first and foremost. This is taking a little time to get perfect...but we are getting there so I appreciate your patience and indeed...overwhelming interest! :shock:

Lastly but certainly not least...a huge thanks to Douglas for doing the reviewing and being...well...Douglas...honest, accurate...no BS review but most importantly..providing me with some very constructive improvement suggestions...THANKS mate! =D>

Back soon!

Chee

Over the last few weeks Douglas has been testing (and reviewing) the KT Tools marking gauge and I want to kick of with a huge "thank you" for his dedicated work in refining what, at first glance, may seem a small point...the cutter.

But those of you who know cutting and edge tools will realise that if this isn't absolutely perfect...it will degrade the final tool to the point where it isn't quite that joy to use one expects from a bespoke or high-end tool.

So...after testing various profiles and back bevels....the optimum has been achieved and will become standard on the gauge from now on. Bespoke requests can still be made but I am convinced that most users will find the standard cutter...the best in all ways.

We wanted to show how fine the line is in all circumstances so more close-up shots were taken...on some beech stock for clarity but this cutter works on all types of wild grain...

mg3.jpg

Douglas likes to use the wedge as a guide to move the edge into the wood...the gauge can be pushed or pulled although pulling has more control....

LONG GRAIN...the line is crisp and true....(click all pictures to zoom in)

CROSS GRAIN....again the gauge copes very well with cutting across the fibres....

....and finally CROSS GRAIN LONG REACH....produced a crisp line parallel to the end face...

I think we are happy now...I will leave Douglas to comment further but we are almost there...and time to fulfil some of the requests that I already have on PM....once the holiday season is over and the new year kicks in...of course!

Thanks Douglas! =D>

Jim

Hi Jim

Mr Picky of Bristol here. Those last two shots are cross-grain, not end grain.

(NB - I'm not just being picky - you now have an excuse to post even more pictures of your excellent handiwork!)

AndyT":3egqtuut said:
Hi Jim

Mr Picky of Bristol here. Those last two shots are cross-grain, not end grain.

(NB - I'm not just being picky - you now have an excuse to post even more pictures of your excellent handiwork!)

D'ya know...I said to myself..."leave the post until a more respectable hour" and don't post after a long shift to 11pm, but I was keen to get the results up and look what happens....moron-mode clicks in after midnight! I feel like Cinders!!! :mrgreen:

Thankfullly I have my fairy-godfather to sort me out! Cheers Andy! :ho2

Jim

p.s. that's "fairy" in the more traditional sense of the term....before I lose my mate Andy as a friend...don'tcha know......

p.p.s that's "traditional" as in "tutu, lace, tights, fairy wand".... traditional you realise!

p.p.p.s (I'm not sure but I think I got away with that one!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think this really is a great tool, not a revolution but really nice to use and have close by. My own suggestion is 150mm stem, rounded ends (I tap the end on the bench for very small adjustments), and I would fancy a 55mm head, being midway between the first prototype and my second one - but if you have big hands you may prefer slightly bigger and that also extends fence area in contact a little.
Fab work indeed Jim - get building!!

Metal_Gazza":3vguxinc said:
Nice looking and practical... Did you mention a price? (forgive me if I missed it)

I have a number sitting part built...which I had started just before I commenced the great observatory build (yes...another hobby!).

That will be completed soon and then I will let you know when I get back to finishing these....I also have a huge Richard T infill part built to finish amongst many other projects just waiting for the weather to brighten up a bit.

I'll let you know when I have some finished.

I thought I would have more time now I am semi-retired but I now seem to have less! :mrgreen:

Jim

Back