Latest kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murdoch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Haven't shown anything for a while so thought I'd post a few pictures I took today of our latest kitchen. Made with ash veneered carcasses, solid ash drawers and accoya frames and doors. Hope you like it. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 2,377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 2,377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 2,376
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 2,374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 2,372
Lovely that is. Interesting corner unit. What ironmongery did you use to allow that movement?

Also, why have you chosen accoya as I thought it was best used as a long life exterior timber?

Cheers. Mike

Nice job,that's the first time I've seen a wooden magic corner.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

For years we've used tulip but with declining quality and rising prices we switched to accoya. We don't get any movement issues so the gaps stay even and doors don't warp due to Aga's or underfloor heating.

The corner unit is just soft close drawers, no idea how much weight the door racks will take but we filled them up and all was well.

Interesting to know. Thanks. I'd have thought there is a big difference in cost to tulip wood?

Had a peek at your website. Lovely stuff. I'd just recommend that you ask your designer to make the website responsive as it misses out the right hand side when looking on my phone.

Hi
Lovely kitchen and nice website!
Really interested in your use of Accoya. How does it compare to tulip wood with regard machining, density, resistance to denting, taking a painted finish, gluing etc..
As i understand it Accoya is manufactured from from fast growing pine - I assume this results in a very wide grained timber with few or no knots - does the graining tend to 'show through' a paint finish?
Apologies for so many questions - I read about Accoya some time ago but always thought it was solely used for joinery/exterior use so kinda dismissed it. But its resistance to movement is attractive and if it matches hardwood characteristics in other ways then it definitely might be worth getting hold of some and trying it for frames..
Tim

Hi timbly
Accoya is a very fast grown softwood but seems to harden during treatment so is very similar density to tulip. It paints well but does have very small pores so a high build primer is needed then it's fine. It doesn't machine as nicely, you need sharp blades as it tears out a bit more and is also more brittle. You need to use pu glue as pva won't work. Once finished you can't tell the difference from tulip but you get no movement which me and less call backs and gaps staying even.

I buy it in 150mm wide boards which rip down the centre for doors and into 3rds for the frames. This saves time and wastage compared to tulip. The kitchen shown will cost me an extra £400 for accoya but it seems worth it.

No movement also means we can machine large batches in quite times and it's ready on the rack knowing it won't have changed shape, even if left outside.

Thanks Murdoch - very informative feedback!
I read that it has a vinegary smell - probably fine for exterior stuff but not desirable to have a kitchen smelling of vinegar.. I assume the smell is temporary and dissipates after machining and finishing?
What primer do you use?
I guess the next thing is to find a local stockist (Devon) and give it a go..
Again thanks
Tim

Great kitchen! the paint colour works really well against the timber floor and cupboard interiors.

We use a lot of accoya for external doors and windows, but I've not heard of anybody using it for interior. I can certainly agree with the argument for stability. The cost of timber in a kitchen is only a tiny part of the overall cost so I doubt if it has any impact on your overall pricing, especially when offset against less waste and less after sales costs. I did some comparative costings for accoya versus iroko for external joinery and found there isn't much difference overall.

I see this is a beaded face frame -do you machine the bead into the face frame and notch out or make a flat frame and pin on the beading?

Hi Murdoch,
Thanks for the post,it is a great kitchen.I have been installing kitchens for 30+years and I detest carousel corner units (nasty plastic things or wire basket ones) but your wooden corner arrangement is just SUPERB .

PETER

Lovely kitchen Murdoch, nice to find someone else in the Suffolk area, I was starting to feel lonely out here. Although I'm an enthusiastic hobbyist, not quite on your level :)

Hi hexusody, bury, your 15 mins away. Drop in if your ever bored or close by. Cheers

Latest posts

Back