latest efforts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
These are the latest four project from the 'workhouse' (as my Mother calls it)

Little potpourrie and candle bowl in Cherry.
wood3409007.jpg

Poplar, a piece I was given last year, it been left out under a tree and has started to spalt nicley, may leave the rest a bit longer. and YES! is is just a 'lump' with a hole in! but I have made a couple of these and they look good in the fire place!
wood3409006.jpg

Another go at open segmnents, Mahgany, ash and ..... sycamore I think. with a purple heart 'knob'
better than the last one, but still a bit untidy on the gluing front! and not sure I like the top.
wood3409013.jpg

Not sure what wood this one is. I think it may be Ash.
wood3409009.jpg

Some more nice bits there Mrs S. Not sure about the last one though, the whole shape seems to be an after thought. Now the Poplar that does something for me. lovely figuring. Nice shape on the segmented one, but I'm not a lover of segmented work. Candle holder, don't let 'er indoors see it, we've got them every where.

The variety of output continues. I really like the squat spalted candle holder, simple in design but to me proportionally sound and looking attractive without shouting out too loud.
Not so taken with the 'holy' one but I admire your tenacity in cutting and glueing all the bits.

Nice variety again,Mrs.S :D
First two pieces are personal favourites;agree completely with Chas about the spalted one - it just "looks" right 8)

Andrew

I too like the 'lump with a hole in it' and whilst admiring your tenacity with the segmented piece....not my cup of tea (probably because I am too lazy to have a go at it myself :oops: ) The pot pourri / candle holder is something I have done a few of. Mine tend to end up with stones or glass in them instead of pot pourri though. Keep turning out the work. As Chas said your variety is still going strong.

Pete

go to go with the flow here, spalted for me too, not really sure about the vase yet, but really nice stuff.

just goes to show that the simple things are the best .... well ..... just look who I married!! :lol:

The shape of the 'chello' vases was dictated by the branch it came from.it was either that shape or very narrow and I felt that narrow would not show the figuring off very well, plus, the 'learning curve' on this piece was to make it in two parts and add a narrow neck, so I needed it to be a bit wider at the bottom.

The 'holy' one? well, I am making a few, because when you put a battery light inside they are quite effective, and I need 'lighting' items ( but will start a new thread on that subject) the couple I have made have been pretty standard 'glued blocks' but good practice at getting the joints closer and now I want to move on from the glued suqars look and work out something more ..... different. :roll:

I like them all, all for different reasons.
The first one, I like potpourri bowls and this has a thought out design and it's different.
The spalted bowl is superb in it's simplicity.
I like the segmented pot because I do segmented work and I know just how difficult it can be,
particularly when patterns are concerned.
Last but not least, I always liked garden sculptures. How tall is this? did you hollow it out?
A great collection. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

John. B

Thanks for that John. The vase is about 12" tall and was hollowed out and the neck added after. it was my first 'go' at trying to put an 'invisible' joint into something .. though it isn't invisible. :lol:

Ditto what the rest say Mrs S. Love the Poplar one it looks like 3 bowls one inside the other? Quite like the open segmented vase, have you tried any closed segmented stuff yet?
Steve

No, it is just one 'lump', not three bowls.
I have only finished one closed segment so far. and it wasn't a total success because I didn't get it all lined up accurate enough or the pieces all the right size :oops: as you know, they are not as easy as the open ones :-k the second one I tried failed because I tried to get a bit too ambitious with the pattern
showwood022.jpg

report card.... could do better! .. I will next time .. I hope!!!

Mrs. S. wrote:
just goes to show that the simple things are the best .... well ..... just look who I married!!

OI!!!! :lol:

Back