Late Xmas presy -My new set of wheels (not woodwork related)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally traded in my beloved BMW after 3 years for this shiny (nearly) new motor. The last 2 winters / rear wheel drive persuaded me.

My cars are a hobby really as I do so little mileage but when I drive the car, I want to enjoy it, otherwise I use the van.
Not sure the missus was in favour though and "boys and toys" was mentioned :lol: No mention (yet) of divorce so I think I'm safe :wink:

It's a new shape A6 and doesn't have the sporty handling of the BMW but it's absolutely loaded with gizmos and a very comfortably ride, same punchy 2.0 tdi as my BM, road tax at £95 and "alleged" combined consumption of 58 mpg which really means high 40s. Still not bad for a very large saloon :)

audi2.jpg

Audi1.jpg

That is a lovely set of wheels you have there Lons. I would love to have something like them. Problem lies in the clearance for me. I live in delightfully rural settings of Ontario , Canada. Most of the nearby folk drive wagons , not station type , horse drawn. I fear that without serious lift kits your car might just have trouble on the back 40 acres. That explains my 1994 GMC 4 wheel drive with the knobby tires I guess. This has been an uncommonly mild winter for me , snow has not been a problem. Last year though , a foot or two of overnight snow was not unheard of. Does not mean I can't wish for a coupe or dare I dream , a sport model. But then the nieghbours might stare and shake their heads. "There goes Mike in his citified vehicle , must miss livin in town".

Lovely car. I love the styling.

I have an Audi A3 TSport with 150 thousand miles on it, I love it, I've had it for ages. It's as good now as the day it was made.

I keep thinking of selling mine but would I get the same trouble free motoring? Although an S3 quatro does appeal.

The only thing about a silver car is you cannot find them among all the other silver cars in the car park. :D

Enjoy

Mick

Lons":3twzjyrs said:
Finally traded in my beloved BMW after 3 years for this shiny (nearly) new motor. The last 2 winters / rear wheel drive persuaded me.

I thought drifting the back out was the whole point of RWD?!

BugBear

Looks a lot better than the preceding A6 I think. That was just a bit of a barge.

Yep - high 40's at best, unless you sit it on the motorway @70 for a few hours, in which case you might get close, but I can't see you doing that. :lol:

Dibs

Lons":keb4afh7 said:
The last 2 winters / rear wheel drive persuaded me.

I can understand last winter, but this winter was like a mild summer!

Lovely set of wheels a perfect mans present to himself!

Much as it pains me, being a BMW driver, that's a nice looking motor.
Last year we swapped my wife's Golf for a 4WD Kuga for the same reason. There's been no snow since! :)):

Harbo":3vx9qhzs said:
Much as it pains me, being a BMW driver, that's a nice looking motor.
Last year we swapped my wife's Golf for a 4WD Kuga for the same reason. There's been no snow since! :)):

I've been the same for years and never even looked at Audi. I didn't intend to swap and have only recently bought a set of 16" BMW alloys to fit winter tyres so will have to sell them on now :oops:
I looked for a 5 series but to get it specced up was just too much for me and didn't spot any high specced demos around. Drove a Merc C class and a Jaguar XF and was bored as I passed the Audi dealer so called in to test an A4 Quatro (which I didn't much like) when I was offered this A6.
They had 3 of them - 2 silver and 1 very dark grey. Silver is not my favourite colour and the grey was too close to black - which my last 3 cars have been. This was the newest and by far the best spec and I did a cracking deal so am quite happy. A £36300 car for £23500 with 4000 miles on the clock plus well over top book for my BMW part ex was too good to turn down. only downside is wading through the manuals which are the size of a novel and remembering which buttons do what!
Wife didn't believe it wasn't new and checked the speedo - suspicious woman - must have something to do with not telling her how much I spend on tools :roll:

Not as much fun to drive as my 320d though almost the same power at 177bhp means it's still pretty pokey and drives well in dynamic mode. predictable is probably the best description.

I thought drifting the back out was the whole point of RWD?! BugBear

To be able to drift you've got to get it out of the drive first :lol: not possible for much of the last 2 winters.

I can understand last winter, but this winter was like a mild summer! Chems

Big difference between Hampshire and northumberland Chems :) I recon there's a sting in the tail yet.

Bob

I don't live in Hamshire! Actually I can't comment too much on the Christmas weather here in the UK this year as I spent it in the sun in America. And on the subjects of cars had a lovely V6 Ford Mustang Convertible as my hire car. It was excellent at everything but corners!

The amazing thing about the new Audi's, is the Diesel engines, I drove a TT 2.0 diesel quattro a year back, and it was hard to even tell it was a diesel.

Nearly new is the way to go when buying cars.
I saved £14k on my then 12 months old 5 series a couple of years ago.
When I bought it I was not really intending to buy - my previous car was in for it's MOT so to kill time I strolled into the showroom to ask for a quote?
Made me an offer I couldn't resist? :))

Rod

Chems":obqr4kav said:
I don't live in Hamshire! Actually I can't comment too much on the Christmas weather here in the UK this year as I spent it in the sun in America. And on the subjects of cars had a lovely V6 Ford Mustang Convertible as my hire car. It was excellent at everything but corners!

The amazing thing about the new Audi's, is the Diesel engines, I drove a TT 2.0 diesel quattro a year back, and it was hard to even tell it was a diesel.

:oops: Sorry about that Chems. Though Notts seems almost as far south as Hamps when you live in the frozen north as I do :lol:

American cars don't need to corner - they don't have any do they?

The engine in this A6 is sweet but tbh not quite as refined as the 2.0tdi in my last BMW. The low mileage I do doesn't warrant a diesel but the mid range performance and overtaking ability is a compelling argument. I've become used to visiting the petrol stations infrequently and just hate watching the clock wizz around on the pump :shock:

Harbo":20t1tbq2 said:
Nearly new is the way to go when buying cars.
I saved £14k on my then 12 months old 5 series a couple of years ago.
When I bought it I was not really intending to buy - my previous car was in for it's MOT so to kill time I strolled into the showroom to ask for a quote?
Made me an offer I couldn't resist? :)) Rod

Absolutely right! They depeciate immediately they are registered so it's just throwing hard earned down the drain.

I always look at the beginning of the month as they often want a sale on the books. If they don't bite then I stretch it out until the end of the month when they may be desperate to meet their target.
I think the secret is to accept you might lose the car to someone else and move on if that happens. If there's a car you've just got to have then the heart can overule the head.

I got £7400 off my last BMW and last January Got a cracking deal on my wifes car. New Mini Cooper, A 3 week old, pre reg with del mileage. £21k list( :shock: ) and I got it for £16800 plus an excellent part ex for her old mini.
We bought a Fiesta fo my daughter 18 months ago and at the time there were quite a few around the dealers coming up 6 months old. I knew that Ford had registered a lot to top the sales charts and given the dealers 6 months credit so payment was due. Got her a well specced car, 500 miles on the clock for £8700 instead of £12600.

Says it all really :)

Bob

Lons":2nxfwci7 said:
American cars don't need to corner - they don't have any do they?

The only ones I saw were the big looping ones on the on and off ramps. Take her down to 20mph and easy does it!

Back