last windows 7 update?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
7th April a critical udate was installed on my W7.

Since then my email windows live messenger will not post mail when I click send.

I go out of wlm and it asks if I want to send unsent messages.

Although it does send those messages its annoying that the normal setup is not working.

Is this happening to you or do I have a conflict personally somewhere?

I've got auto update disabled and I haven't installed a "critical" update in the 18 months I've had my laptop. My wife has and has had numerous problems because of them! whlist my laptop has been 100% reliable. I do of course have good antivirus protection and choose when and if I need any updates which I install manually.

IMO, Microsoft have a lot to answer for and put programs and updates out without full testing. if it was any other product there would be numerous comebacks under trade descriptions.

Bob

Thanks Lons, I usually exclude updates as well but that somehow has got changed on me, it should inform me first and get confirmation.

Lons":3r2r3s73 said:
IMO, Microsoft have a lot to answer for and put programs and updates out without full testing. if it was any other product there would be numerous comebacks under trade descriptions.

Bob

I think they do it on purpose, so as the software gets older it get slower and develops more problems so when the new shiny version comes out people rush and buy it and then find it won't run this or that so up grade those programs as well.

This is why Bill Gates is worth more than a lot of countries in the world.

Tom

devonwoody":283m4s7e said:
Thanks Lons, I usually exclude updates as well but that somehow has got changed on me, it should inform me first and get confirmation.

Hi dw

if you think the update is the problem then try doing a system restore to the point just before the update and that should remove it, (you have the option to undo that if you change your mind).
it doesn't always work and will sometimes come back with the message no changes made but worth a go

Bob

Lons, yes I thought of doing that but checking the update it states critical so is it just an expression or was it really critical?

It seems to have made changes to emails in many ways, I just went to forward an email on to my sister and the forward setup has changed. I started to type the letter E and all my e's in my email addresses came up. So perhaps I will keep the change. I do have a red cross now showing I am on line of off which I do not recall being there before.

devonwoody":cosaptw1 said:
Lons, yes I thought of doing that but checking the update it states critical so is it just an expression or was it really critical?

It seems to have made changes to emails in many ways, I just went to forward an email on to my sister and the forward setup has changed. I started to type the letter E and all my e's in my email addresses came up. So perhaps I will keep the change. I do have a red cross now showing I am on line of off which I do not recall being there before.

Microsoft use the word "critical" far too readily IMO.

My win7 laptop has had very few MS updates in 18 months and the ones I have downloaded have been researched first. My desktop running XP pro has not had any updates in 3 years. I've done it this way since my first PC many years ago.
I'm on the internet a hell of a lot and not a single issue. As said I do keep on top of spam and virus progs and am careful what I download or open.

A red X usually means off if I remember rightly.

Bob

Bill Gates was a 'smart-cookie', when he looked at Copyrights. He convinced those who matter, that a Windows disc, was different to a CD. In fact it isn't; except in the way in which it processes information. Otherwise it's made of exactly the same material, and it's 'burned' in the same way. What Gates knew was that, if like a CD, people could use their Windows Disc on any PC, loan them to friends, and make personal copies, he would lose money.

So I think I am going to convince someone in high places that I have rights over the letter 'e'. At a penny per use, I'd make a mint!

Here's my post without the 'e': :)

Bill Gats was a 'smart-cooki', whn h lookd at Copyrights. h convincd thos who mattr, that a windows disc, was diffrnt to a CD. In fact it isn't; xcpt in th way in which it procsss information. Othrwis it's mad of xactly th sam matrial, and it's 'burnd' in th sam way. What Gats knw was that, if lik a CD, popl could us thir Windows Disc on any PC, loan thm to frinds, and mak prsonal copis, h would los mony.

So I think I am going to convinc somon in high placs that I hav right ovr th lttr ''. At a pnny pr us, I'd mak a mint!
:mrgreen:

Benchwayze":2frxs0na said:

Bill Gats was a 'smart-cooki', whn h lookd at Copyrights. h convincd thos who mattr, that a windows disc, was diffrnt to a CD. In fact it isn't; xcpt in th way in which it procsss information. Othrwis it's mad of xactly th sam matrial, and it's 'burnd' in th sam way. What Gats knw was that, if lik a CD, popl could us thir Windows Disc on any PC, loan thm to frinds, and mak prsonal copis, h would los mony.

So I think I am going to convinc somon in high placs that I hav right ovr th lttr ''. At a pnny pr us, I'd mak a mint!

It is not disimmilar to some of the posts on here!

marcros":2awtqrfq said:
Benchwayze":2awtqrfq said:

It is not disimmilar to some of the posts on here!

I never said that Marcros! :D :D

Benchwayze":3pzmaeak said:
... Othrwis it's mad of xactly th sam matrial, and it's 'burnd' in th sam way.

That's odd. When I read the second half of your post I could imagine hearing it with a Scottish accent. :shock:

"You tak th high road, and I'll tak th low road and I'll b in Scotland afor y ..." :wink:

Going to Scotland Nigel?
Last time I went there, I got shunted off the road by an old duffer. Now I am an old duffer, I think I'd rather stay home! :lol:

devonwoody":14ool85m said:
I'd be very surprised if a critical update (which is usually a security or bug patch) would have changed the behaviour of your email client. I reckon other updates were installed at the same time.
Personally (and professionally) I've not had an issue with a critical or security update causing problems.

Back