Last project (possibly)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gwaithcoed":1qz5wgjg said:
This unfortunately could be my last project. I’m 82 have arthritis in my knees and ankles which after a short time in the workshop turns pleasure into pain. Lately I have also developed severe stabbing pain in both of my thumbs which makes me very wary when using power tools.

Alan

Alan, I don't know you from Adam, but a whole lot of my drive to make nice things instead of just "stuff" (I'd have quit by now if that was the case) comes from a fellow who is generally physically unable to work long. He was a master maker his whole life (one of the finest in the world) and when he retired, he took a lot of us nobodies under his wing and just offered commentary and help where he could. I ask him for advice often. It doesn't make my work great, but for an amateur who is self taught, it makes my work better than it would be by a long shot.

I know he is full of ideas and his advice is credible in that he's done it and thought deeper about it than I likely would, and he's frustrated that youth physically near him generally goes after it a little bit and then burns out and quits. So, he shared with us on the internet instead.

Anything you share will always have a benefit for someone (you, of course, too). I hope you build as long as you can, and share ideas once you can't. Test your limits often even if you don't wish to foolishly exceed them.

The stack of boxes looks great!

Thank you for sharing. This thread is thought provoking in a few ways, from woodworking to family, hope you can continue in your making gwaitcoed.

D_W":336ekt92 said:

Anything you share will always have a benefit for someone (you, of course, too). I hope you build as long as you can, and share ideas once you can't. Test your limits often even if you don't wish to foolishly exceed them.

The stack of boxes looks great!

Thank you for that you're right , as my wife keeps telling me "get in your workshop or I'll find you some hoovering to do :D :D :D

Alan

I agree with DW. Don't give up - find a way to share your skills with those of us who are trying to acquire them. Tremendously valuable.

Sorry to here about the arthritus, i am 45 and have been diagnosed with psioritic arthritus so i have a long road ahead of me (hopefully) i have found some drug treatment that has made a huge difference. I would strongly advise that you see what is on offer as the treatment has vastly improved from 10 years ago. I have gone from a bit depressed to positive about the future.
Things such as hand scraping is a bit painful and i wear glovea bit more but it could be worse.

Corset":2lz3j6zy said:
Sorry to here about the arthritus, i am 45 and have been diagnosed with psioritic arthritus so i have a long road ahead of me (hopefully) i have found some drug treatment that has made a huge difference. I would strongly advise that you see what is on offer as the treatment has vastly improved from 10 years ago. I have gone from a bit depressed to positive about the future.
Things such as hand scraping is a bit painful and i wear glovea bit more but it could be worse.

There are a lot of kooky internet remedies out there, but have you investigated fasting as a cure? Many people reporting remission just by changing when they eat. I don't have arthritis, so I can't give you a subjective view, but if it helps, it's an easy fix. Michael Moseley made it popular a few years ago - lots of books and BBC documentary on it.

genetics i think plays a part, my dad and sister both have it. Tried a few bits of herbal but in the end chemicals did the trick. My dad has been on biologicals for 20 years and he has coped. seems to be the key is to stop the rot early and i think thats all we can do. |It flares up a bit now and agin but a dull ache is better than the misery a year ago when i couldnt sleep. Weird thing is i dont have any psoriasis or any other of the symptons. Consultants just said auto immunes are all unique and they often get banded together when they are not. To be fair a few sore fingers and thumbs and feet is better than RA so i wont be grumbling. I am on a loss dose of methotrexate and have no side effects other than trying to lay off the beer.

Back