Last couple segemented projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of what I've been up to. The "Bass" was my first attempt at trying my hand at painting wood to actucally look like something. I tend to be really good with a spray can in my hand painting a background but put a paint brush in my hand and the story changes...lol
segmentedbasscolorlg.jpg

This piece below I felt more in my comfort zone with. The "Polar Bears" were a B-day gift for my oldest daughter.
Both projects were cut from aspen.
segmentedpolarbearslg.jpg

At present I'm helping my son with a school project. He is trying to cut a few flags from wood. Thinking bout doing the Kenya flag in this type of segmentation style. It has a shield on the flag so might really turn out awesome done this way.
Lin

They're terrific, Lin. I love how you've married shadow portrait technique with segmentation in the picture of the fish. That's very difficult to pull off successfully. The shaping of momma bear's snout out from her head is nicely done, too.

Oh, and forget any reservations you have about your skills with a paintbrush - you can use those with quite a flourish, too :) . Great use of colour!

Gill

Hi Lin.

Their brilliant,,never seen anything like that before,,,like the polar bears,,amazing.
Stupid question .Are they flat, or are pieces raised,,because they look 3D.

Mark.

My eyes were caught by an alluring splash of colour on the fish portrait Lin, but the apparent movement that you have captured in the bear group is amazing for such a monochrome subject.

Thank you all for the nice words of encouragement. You have no idea how long I procrastinated before I started the hand painting on that fish and how many coats of paint are actually on it as I changed my mind over and over again about what looked right. My husband finally told me to leave it be..."It looks fine!"....lol
Both the fish itself and the polar bears started out as a piece of 3/4" aspen. I cut them out puzzle style and then went about lowering certain pieces to acheive the depths then began the shaping process to blend the different layers together. I did on the ppolar bears use shims to raise Momma snout and head area and the baby's snout also after lowering the other pieces I still needed to raise those to give the right effect. On the bass I did raise the one inner fin 1/8" after the layering and first shaping. I generally try to get the layers set so I don't have to raise hardly any pieces...most of the time just one or two of the inner pieces to get the 3D effect.
I've just started on a segmented lighthouse for my sister. Cutting is done and I have lowered one area but can't start the rest until the son's flags are done and on there way to school. He has only cut on the scrollsaw a few times and insist on me being there with him thru the entire process...he's afriad he'll mess up the cutting..but in reality he's doing very well.
I keep telling him he doing fine but he is still very unsure of himself.
I will post some pics of him and what he's up to in the process...One flag is done and has been delivered. Three left to go.
Lin

Back