Last Commission Before Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I have just finished fitting the last commission committed for delivery before Christmas.

Basically it was a fitted wardrobe with four doors above four large drawers mounted on full extension ball bearing runners. The drawers were 1 metre from front to back to maximise the storage - behind the hanging rail were storage shelves where the unit met the sloping ceiling. Solid oak as usual but I forgot my camera so pic taken on my phone so not the best quality pics - Sorry - The flash has made the panels on the end look alot lighter in colour - They ar'nt honest!

Oh yes and note the plynth, the floor dropped by 100mm from left to right making it a real sod to get level!

photo5.jpg

There was also a small chest of drawers, again this fitted to the pitch of the ceiling/walls and the drawers were stepped so storage was maximised - the bottom drawer approximately twice the depth (front to back) of the top drawer - again mounted on full extension ball bearing race runners

photo6.jpg

Lastly there was a small ensuite and I made a vanity unit to replace an awful conti board thing, the sink was mounted leaving a lip at the front as requested by the clients to enable items to be placed infront of the sink.

photo10.jpg

I turned the ends for the chrome towel rail and actually bookmatched the panels but it doesn't really show that well in the photo - washed with medium oak stain before being finished with acid cat lacquer.

I must admit I'm glad to see the back of this project, it was fitted on the third storey of an old listed building and all parts had to be carried up two very narrow spiral staircases and if I bumped my head once on the low beams I did a dozen times - ouch.

Anyway I'm not starting any more large projects until the New Year, the next one being an inlaid cherry dresser - looking forward to making that so finishing up the next few days doing a few odd jobs!

Very nice chest of drawers there. It all fits in really nicely with what I can see of the house too.

...the sink was mounted leaving a lip at the front as requested by the clients to enable items to be knocked over in front of the sink.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Waka":77eos1nk said:
What's the thickness of the panels?

The panels were 13mm thick, rails and stiles had 6mm groove with square haunched mortice and tenons, the back of the panels were then rebated to fit into the groove leaving a flush surface on the inside of the frames and doors with the outer face being flat, straight into the groove allowing for any movement in the panels not to show on the outer faces.

The finish used on the vanity unit was exterior grade Acid Cat lacquer de-nibbed and over waxed with Mylands wax - should withstand the odd splash or two.

Very nice Rog. And I thought it was just me who got those oddball shapes. :lol: Nice use of the space and matching the surroundings. :D

Nice work Roger.

Was there a reason for making the solid panels as opposed to veneered MDF?

MDF Karl! :shock: :shock: Wash your mouth out! - Only solid stuff from my workshop i'm afraid. :roll: :roll:

No seriously, you never get a match between veneered stock and solid timber unless you over stain.

IMHO anyway

Rof

I agree Rof about the colour match.

How do you set the panel in the frame? Panel raising bit, rebate on the panel? From the pics the panel is flat on the face side, so presumably the reduction to the groove width is on the back.

Cheers

Karl

The panels were 13mm thick, 20mm thick rails and stiles had 6mm groove with square haunched mortice and tenons, the back of the panels were then rebated to fit into the groove leaving a flush surface on the inside of the frames and doors with the outer face being flat, straight into the groove allowing for any movement in the panels not to show on the outer faces.

Hi Rog
What a lovely job, I imagine the client was very happy with the outcome.

When a building is out of level like that it must be a nightmare measuring up? Hard enough if it was in your own home and you could constantly check back during the construction but having to make it in the workshop and then trust it fits would scare the life out of me!

Regards Keith

Very very tasteful Dodge!

I think that the new work will age beautifully with the surrounding building and is a perfect compromise of utility and preservation of the architecture.

Well done mate!

=D> =D> =D>

Jim

Back