Laser printer recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 12 years of trouble free use, I would buy another Samsung but it appears they have stopped producing printers and HP now cover Samsung, I presume some money changed hands, but looking at HP offerings I will be looking elsewhere, Brother most likely

after servicing many, many printers I was exactly like you, once I changed from inkjet to lazer a looooong time ago, I would never go back. I went from various b&w to a colour Samsung 415N and it has been excellent and reliable since it came out. Easy to change and can bypass the chip by melting a hole to refill and cover with aluminium tape.

Plus there's the fact that you can leave a laser for a year without printing, give the toners a bit of a jiggle and off you go. No 30 mins without a print and new ink time. People tell me they need ultra expensive photo paper and expensive UV resistant inks to get photo quality, so wouldn't use a laser. I point out that these days I can upload photos, get them professionally printed, in whatever paper I like, to however big and back to me the next day(ish) for a tenth of the cost to print an inkjet one. And 'proper' iron on toner to print t-shirts.

3rd party toners:
IMG_20220409_123134.jpg

Make sure you can at least do this with your new one. As Or make sure you can buy a 'reset chip' with 3rd party toners (makes unlimited page counts basically so printer doesn't moan). That being said my Samsung after about 12 years has developed a photo conductor fault. still prints but banding. So it's time to get a new one(gutted) and currently looking myself. serviced too many Lexmarks so they are 100% off the list. Be interesting to see what you choose.

in my experience there's very few consumer printers, especially inkjet, that don't have some method of ripping you off (that was a considered sentence and I mean it). A bit more cost but a business friendly one generally is less of a faff.

Last edited:
The best printers ever made for H/O use was the Sharp JX86xx series, used in homes offices and war zone, dropped down 3 flights of stairs and off the back of 4 tonners and even though they looked like rubbish still worked. I used one for nearly 23 years no wonder Sharp eventually got out of the printer market as such they did it to themselves bymaking a a fantastic product.

Beware of carrying out laser printer firmware updates! - It is quite common after update that the printer will suddenly refuse to operate as as "a non genuine" cartridge fitted". In time the 3rd party suppliers may update their products, but it takes time and when a printer is judged as obsolescent, they may not bother.
HP is particularly notable at suggesting useful firmware updates towards the end of one of their printers production life. If you are using a non-OEM cartridge at the time of update it will simply render your printer inoperative - Which is hardly useful.

I was interested to see one as you said they were still available, which it seems they are on Amazon at £140

There is a link = Visit Samsung Store, but no printer of that number listed there, although there is a toner cartridge for £145 ;-)

On Samsungs site it states they sold the printer side of their business in 2017

So are these old stock perhaps? or another manufacturer using the Samsung name?

My Samsung ML-3710ND mono printer is still going strong 11 years on.
The fact that you can still buy a new one must say something.
I chose it at the time because of the relatively low running cost.

Our Canon all in one laser is 13 years old and still going strong. Never did get the scanner to work over the network but it does work on the USB connection. Cartridges are ~100$ but last a year or more. We’ve had HP and a couple of Epson inkjets but they didn’t last as long as the laser.

Many thanks for all the feedback, I confess I wasn't expecting so many, although I guess we all use printers so might have expected it

I had a recommendation for a Brother DCP L2510D mono laser 3 in 1, I wasn't really looking for a 3 in 1 printer but at this price its cheaper than most other single use machines

I ordered from Viking £115 with free delivery, the same machine is available on Argos at £160 (with wifi but that doesn't interest me)

Back