Laser cutting veneer....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewRedStars

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of laser cutting veneer?

Stupid questions: Does it burn or discolour? How precise is the process... imagine a star... how small could it be? Do you have to stick down the veneer and then somehow re-claim it?

If I go ahead with my plan I'll outsource but i'd like to have facts before I start getting quotes.

Thanks, Matthew.

Might be worth considering water jet cutting. On the right machine, very narrow kerf, no danger of burning, very clean finish.

We have a laser at work and have used it to cut veneers, ply, MDF etc..., it does leave a charred edge on wood that needs a wipe with a piece of sandpaper to remove.

Tack the edges of the piece down to a substrate like a bit of steel or aluminium sheet. I find it leaves a resinous gunk behind that you don't want on your laser bed. There is a burn line but it's not much. For fine detail I tried inlaying dark into light and vice versa however I found it not worth the effort so now I just remove the fine pieces and use light or dark filler in the dark or light wood for contrast. For bigger sections I'd swap the materials round.

If the wood breaks up like open grained material or burr you can cover the entire surface with masking tape which stops the bits breaking up when you take them out. Ideally put a small radii in the corners of each piece so two cut lines don't end at a sharp point as the start/stop of the laser doesn't always go right through, the small radii helps the piece come out as the laser makes a small cut again in the corner to release it.

Aidan

Sorry - won't let me post links yet.

Put ' aryma ' into the UKWorkshop search and you will get the links. Aryma are the people who cut the veneers for Ian I think.

Dave

Back