Laser Cutter Engravers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radecal

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering how many of you use/have used Laser Cutter Engravers in the past on any of your woodworking projects.

I work for a company that supplies them (among other things) and I've noticed that we get a lot of interest from people working with metal and vinyl but in the 2 months I've been here we haven't had a lot of feedback relating to woodworkers.

If you've used them before, I would appreciate any info you could pass on regarding your past successes/failures!

Thanks a lot!
Neil

That's bcause they're bloody expensive! You need good extraction when using a flamable material too even an inert halo which is what we use sometimes. I haven't tried veneers yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to soon!

Aidan

Welcome Neil. It looks like your machinery is mainly industrial stuff and this is predominantly a hobby site. I can think of a few uses for laser tech in hobby projects such as small accents and decorative features but not on every piece and that is probably why it's not popular amongst woodworkers. Perhaps you can give us some examples of what would benefit the woodworker with your machines?

Thanks wizer, as you say decorative features such as in our video for our smallest available laser cutter engraver on our http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77E9E3wTKFY or alternatively there is an option of a machine with a rotary arm for use on cylindrical objects.

I think for the hobbyist woodworker, you'd have to be fairly confident of making some money out of it too, but then again having not really been a woodworker I don't know that for certain!

TheTiddles, extraction is a good point! Even on our HX40 (the machine you see in the video) up to our largest machine, there is a large pipe rather similar in look to the sort of thing that comes out the back of a tumble drier.

How much is the smallest machine you sell?

I notice you dont have that much in the way of gallery material. I could trade you some professional inlaid veneer work in return for a couple of months usage in my workshop ;)

Yeah we're working on getting loads more images and videos for every single one of our products, but it's a slow process as theres just so many!

The smallest machine we have, the HX40B is £1399.00 and would suit small workshops and such like. We go all the way up to big stand-alone machines which are getting a lot of attention at the minute, but perhaps a bit too big for someone's hobby?

Hello Neil,
I've used a laser engraver on this sculpture. I went to a company that engrave signs both in plastic and metal.
The wood the design was cut on is Maple. the guy using the machine was surprised how hard the wood was and how much power he had to use to burn the design.
I don't know what machine it was, to me it looked like a large box about 1.5m square with a glass top.
I made the design at home, put it on a memory stick gave that to him, he programmed that into his computer and this was the result.
Which I was very pleased with.

(The sculpture was a presentation piece for my daughters mother-in-law when she got her masters degree at the University of Texas) :?

John. B

Hi John,

Looking good! Any chance you know which piece of software was used to produce this from your memory stick to the laser?

We already provide software with our CNC Routers, and I was looking to see if there was some software that we could provide with our lasers too (to no avail at present!)

Cheers
Neil

Hi, we have videos on our youtube channel www.youtube.com/radecalNeil or we have a showroom where we can arrange viewings and such like.

There are some really cool, very high-end lasers out there, but sometimes the prices are astronomical. Thankfully we offer a bit more of an affordable solution...though in fairness, even we have our high-end stuff available! Keeping our hand in and all that!

Thats another thing I'm in the process of trying to sort out DMD! We're looking into possibilities elsewhere in the country, but for now all we have is our 10, 000sq ft building!

Ill check to see if we have any nearby customers and let you know.

Neil

Latest posts

Back