Laser cutter and engraver advice needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annamulhearn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been fishing through catalogues, online stores, youtube and ebay for days and I feel like I am sending myself in circles.

I am looking for an entry level laser cutter and engraver, my budget is around £3500 at the very maximum. I only need a small machine as I will be cutting small areas for jewellery making, paper cuts for greeting cards etc and other novelty items, mainly using thin (no more than 5mm I expect) wood and paper. I don't really need a work space larger than 400 x 600mm smaller than this would also be ok I am just predicting I might move on to slightly larger things in the future.

I am aware that there are a lot of poor quality cutters from china and I am doing my best to avoid them. I need a machine that is going to make me my money back and is repairable should it break down. I am starting up my own business at the moment and this is my largest cost - and will hopefully be my best earner. I am aware that I could out-source the work but this would cost more in the long run and my way of working involves a .ot of experimentation that would be difficult if I was not using the machine myself.

Any advice on particular reliable brands or if you know of anything that would help me in my search would be great.

thanks

Anna

Truthfully,
£3500 doesn't give you much to play with.
Either way, I know Daven would agree here: HPC Laser in Halifax. I have 2 machines from them (A 6850PRO and an LS1290PRO) and both have been faultless. I had to replace a belt, and optics when I smashed a lens, but Chris sent them the very next day. Yes, you can get cheaper from China, but be prepared if anything goes wrong, it can take ages to get a replacement part.

I used to be an engraver, sorry can't advise on makes but don't forget some materials will need some kind of fume extraction. I was never a fan of the machine we had but it did a very good job on acrylic.

Could be wrong (I'm very rusty) but cutting 5mm thick wood on a low powered laser is a tall order.

Thanks PhillyDee,

I have actually stumbled across that particular company in my search and was wondering about their quality. Ill look into one of their desktop cutters, they are within my budget.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about the Chinese cutters, I don't want to have to modify the machine too much once I get it and all of the reviews Ive seen are a bit mad. It will be the most I have spent on anything ever and if it was to just fall apart Id be pretty angry with myself.

Thank you for your advice!!

Mr_P":pm571e49 said:
I used to be an engraver, sorry can't advise on makes but don't forget some materials will need some kind of fume extraction. I was never a fan of the machine we had but it did a very good job on acrylic.

Could be wrong (I'm very rusty) but cutting 5mm thick wood on a low powered laser is a tall order.

Yes you're probably right, 5mm would be the absolute thickest though, I doubt I will even need that, more like 3 mm

Hi Anne - I agree with Phillydee HPC is the place to start. It will be a steep learning curve and you will need to learn to use programs such as a CAD system (AutoCAD type) for vectors (cutting) and a graphics program for raster files (engraving). CorelDraw is an option as well as it can bridge the two but not as good as AutoCAD IMO.

Pop over to http://oplaser.co.uk/opsupport/ lots of useful info there as well as some friendly people ;)

They are great fun - I went from the 3020 to now having two 3060 (both with 60w tubes) :)

Best
Dave

I have to agree with PhillDee, its a false economy opting for the cheaper imported machines. The savings are generally lost if you develop a problem.

I've built a few CNC machines (my own use) and even though I can get cheaper parts from China, I'd rather source from the UK from trusted companies with reputations. If I was to buy a complete machine this would be a no brainer for me.

I also think the idea of acquiring the cutting ability in house is probably a sound one, good luck with the business.

Latest posts

Back