Lapwing Chick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I know some of you (like me) are interested in cats, dogs, birds & other cute fluffy things so I thought I'd share a couple of pics of a lapwing chick I managed to snap this morning. There'd been a couple of adult lapwings patrolling around the wet top corner of the field next to our garden for a while now so I guessed they had a nest there somewhere as they seemed to be chasing off anything that came close. There was a terrific fuss this morning as a dozy old male pheasant wandered along the edge of the field with the Lapwings dive-bombing him continuously, although I dont think the pheasant noticed, not being the greatest intellect in the bird world. A short while later one of the lapwings scooted across the field a bit & then 3 chicks suddenly appeared out of one of the tractor ruts & started wandering along a ridge. Needless to say they'd all disappeared out of site again by the time I'd got the camera set up but I managed to snap one of them later in the day when he stood still for a little while - I guess they're about 2 or 3 inches high :-

lapwing_chick1.jpg

and again here, but he ducked as I pressed the shutter :roll:

lapwing_chick2.jpg

My avatar shows an adult lapwing taken in the same spot last year in a young crop of oats - this years crop may be oats again (or it may just be grass - difficult to tell until it grows a bit more).

They're so cute :) ! I hope they survived the excitement.

You're very fortunate to live somewhere that has such an abundance of wildlife on your doorstep.

Gill

Ahhhhh. And also "Oooo", 'cos lapwings aren't as common as they used to be I believe? Very cool. =D>

We can claim blue **** in the nest box (not a great claim), but the chap I went to buy tools from yesterday has a Mallard Duck nesting in the Ivy on his house. Gonna be quite a launch for the ducklings; it's about 6 foot up. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

After watching some chap on the beeb the other night so how rare stag beetles were these days I bumped into one in the garden last night - took some pics but did not bring it to work this morning.

Fascinating fact - the stag beetle larvae can spend 3-4 years underground before emerging. Is this a reflection on how often our garden gets dug?

Andy

Alf":bemnxptc said:
Ahhhhh. And also "Oooo", 'cos lapwings aren't as common as they used to be I believe? Very cool. =D>

We can claim blue **** in the nest box (not a great claim), but the chap I went to buy tools from yesterday has a Mallard Duck nesting in the Ivy on his house. Gonna be quite a launch for the ducklings; it's about 6 foot up. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Smooth ALF, very smooth. Just a quick drive-by there?

Adam

Great shots! We have jackdaws in the chimney at the moment. At least most of the time they're in the chimney. Last evening a new fledgling managed to descend (along with a cloud of soot) into the fireplace before somehow finding the strength and wing clearance to beat its way back up (sending down more soot in the process) :D

Alan

Latest posts

Back