Laptop help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
My laptop keeps restarting.
says I have a stopcode.
Driver overran stack buffer.

I have cleaned it, defraged, updated but it's still doing it.
Any good free software out there which can sort it?

running windows 10 on a laptop about 9months old, plenty of space and memory.

Thanks in advance

I'd be inclined to do a reset.
Can be a pain if you have loads of software installed, but usually sorts things out.

Whilst you can troubleshoot this, it may not be that effective in the long run as Windows really need a clean around every year or so. I agree, if you have a lot of stuff and software installed it’s good practice to wipe and start from clean - not ideal but that’s Windows for you

can you run the laptop hardware diagnostics ? You may have a hardware problem developing. You'll need to look up the details on how to do this for your machine, but typically it involves pressing one of the PF keys during the initial boot and then following the onscreen options.

could be a few things....
First backup anything important
If it happened after a windows update maybe Driver software issue.. normally when that happens it wont even let you into windows in my experience. (uninstall bad update or system restore)
like post above run hardware diagnostics to see if it finds anything wrong
as another have said do A reset (as in reinstall w10).. Personally i like to go with keep nothing and have a fresh Install the down side it you have to make sure anything important is backed up other wise you loose it

Sounds like a driver problem from an update.
Don't do anything drastic, it usually causes more problems than you solve. Keep trying to start the machine. Perhaps try 20-30 attempts one after the other. Often, windows will detect there is a problem and give you an option what to do. Other option is to try starting in safe mode, so if it's caused by a driver, it will start. If you do get it started have you a restore point saved which would reverses any changes from recent updates? I have had this type of problem many many times, but with win 7, never with 10. You can also start an install and you should be given the option to repair windows rather than do a full re-install. This type of problem can usually be sorted without drastic action, but takes a wee while.

Latest posts

Back