Laptop Hard Drive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger, thanks for the link.

While trying to understand backup's and the upgrading of computer parts so that i can do this sort of thing myself in the future, i have came across the partition in which Packard Bell placed their backup program, and i have found that there is a lot more empty and from what i can see wasted memory then i had first thought there was.

This reads as follows:

HDD (C:\) Capacity 12.6GB

Used 9.0

Free 3.6

BACKUP :)\) Capacity 6.0GB

Used 2.8GB

Free 3.2GB

Now obviously i understand the figures etc on drive C, but what i do not understand is the backup partition.
Correct me if i am wrong. The 2.8GB of information/programs/OS that Packard Bell placed in this partition is the complete package which if needed would take the laptop back to how it was when it left the factory. So nothing needs to be added, downloaded, or saved in this partition, because if this happened it mean that in the event of a serious crash etc, this backup would not go back to exactly how it was when new.

Well if this is the case what is the 3.2GB of free memory for? As far as i can see it is just wasted. Is this normal?
This may not be seem much on a 60GB or 100GB hard drive but on a 20GB drive it is a lot, especially when you think that it would double the amount of free space i have now.

I know i am going to get a bigger drive anyway, but i would still like to know why Packard Bell or any manufacturer would make such a big partition if it was not needed?

Regards

Woody

Woody

The only thought I have is that the actual backup programs are compressed and/or the installation program needs some 'breathing space' ..as it were..to store temp files etc.

Roger

The external hard drive was delivered today, and after installing it i noticed that its file system is FAT 32, but the laptop is NTFS. Now there might not be anything wrong with this at all, but i seem to remember reading some where that on the XP operating system you can change over from FAT or FAT 32 to NTFS but if you do you cannot change back.

Now i do not know how FAT 32 or NTFS works or really what they are, but i am worried that if they are different filing systems, will they work together?

Regards

Woody

NTFS is more secure, but harder to restore should anything go wrong. For the external drive I would keep it FAT32

Back