Landing light dimmer switch question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a little help from someone with electrical knowledge. Simple really all I want to do is put a dimmer switch on the landing light. The light currently has a switch in the hall and a switch upstairs both will turn the light on or off. if I put a standard dimmer switch on the landing will it all work the same

Yes should do, so long as you keep both the existing switches and put the dimmer in between the second switch ant the lamp.
so that the dimmer works with either switch.
But don't come hopping to me when you fall down the stairs in the gloom!

yes you should be able to.

you have a 2 way lighting circuit so you need a 2way dimmer switch like Pete says. TLC have quite a few handy tech links for various products so worth a look around their site (and theyre one of the cheaper places to buy electrical goodies too!). heres another..
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... y6l2PMZ7Hg

look at your existing switch, there will be 3 connections, probably labelled L1, L2, and Common. a 2 way dimmer switch should be the same. note which wires (not which colour!) go into which terminals and do the same on the replacement dimmer. note they may NOT physically be in the same orientation.
there will possibly be wires of the same colour doing different jobs in a 2 way circuit - do not mix them up!
I AM NOT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN! usual disclaimers etc.
and I would shut the power off completely when you do it ( as opposed to pulling a fuse or circuit breaker). You never know whos done what in the past!
electric.gif

just a side note if you havent changed the switch already, energy saving light bulbs will destroy dimmer switch`s, we had one burn out in our lounge.

Back