Land rover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unreservedly apologise to land rover then! (I'm sure something was hand cranked backwards up a sand dune in some film - That's going to be bugging me for the rest of the day now!)
You are correct, it was the ambulance they were traveling in. Assume a Bedford lorry or some such.
It's her majesty's favourite film she will watch is several times a year and it's always on the telly!

I really hate the way Russian bad guys in American spy movies always have Land Rovers rather than Jeeps or, er, Russian vehicles.

I think someone did a portal axle conversion for the 110. You can certainly still get track conversions for them* where the axles get sprockets instead of wheels. Not sure if that can be done with earlier series - obviously you need 4WD (and probably diff lock) permanently on, too. Amd a step ladder to get in or out.

E.

(*but it does slow them to around 100 MPH on the Autobahn, obviously)

Jebus! :eek:

1602670764498.png

Wild horses would not get me on a autobahn in that!

Jebus! :eek:

View attachment 94202

Wild horses would not get me on a autobahn in that!
horses aren't allowed on the autobahn. :)
I got a run round an off road course in one of these. the noise was comparable to being hit repeatedly over the head with an anvil.
Same guy invited me for a spin round the place in a new defender a few weeks ago, not taken him up on it yet but he is claiming they are very capable considering.

It was an Austin K2 ambulance that they used in the film and it was sent up the dune backwards

Last edited:
Possibly the best car I have owned would be the 10 year old Toyota hilux surf - they were imported from Japan after after hard life ferrying kids to karate classes but luckily I got mine before the tsunami - I understand there were lots of radioactive cars exported afterwards, to the extent that Russia banned second hand imports from Japan. Possibly, if I remember rightly.

Anyway, someone drove into the back of my hilux and the engine fell out of his car. I had to bend the bumper back into place. I would love another of those. Automatic gears are a revelation off road - so much better control, but less fun, obviously.

I never did this to my Lada - pitty.

Someone in a Nissan Micra drove into the offside rear corner of my landy when it was parked. I had to bend the light protector back into shape, and the corner needed a few pop rivets. The Micra was written off.

I felt a bit sorry for the Micra owner, but on the other hand, the landy was properly (and reasonably considerately) parked, and rather hard not to spot...

Someone in a Nissan Micra drove into the offside rear corner of my landy when it was parked. I had to bend the light protector back into shape, and the corner needed a few pop rivets. The Micra was written off.

I felt a bit sorry for the Micra owner, but on the other hand, the landy was properly (and reasonably considerately) parked, and rather hard not to spot...

I stopped at a traffic light and the bloke behind didn’t.
I felt a minor jolt, got out and his car was in bits all over the road, his air bag saved him from any serious injury.
he actually thanked me for preventing him driving into the crossing traffic, said he was miles away and speeding.
Not a mark on the landie , well no new ones anyway :)

I unreservedly apologise to land rover then! (I'm sure something was hand cranked backwards up a sand dune in some film - That's going to be bugging me for the rest of the day now!)

You're dead right Oddbod70, there was a vehicle hand cranked backwards up a sand dune in "Ice Cold in Alex" (they did take the plugs out first!). And I think it was "the baddie" who "accidentally" let go of the starting handle when they were three quarters of the way up the dune, so it ran all the way back down to the bottom, so they had to start all over again. The vehicle wasn't a Land Rover but was a lightish (three quarter ton?) army vehicle with a canvas top. Perhaps a Bedford, an Austin, or a Ford???

It starred - I think - John Mills and a bloke with a "square face" and a S. African accent (can't remember his name, sorry) and the (blond) love interest was someone like Shirley Eaton, etc, etc, etc.

I MUST have been quite young when I saw that because I remember more about the vehicle than the girl! :(

You're dead right Oddbod70, there was a vehicle hand cranked backwards up a sand dune in "Ice Cold in Alex" (they did take the plugs out first!). And I think it was "the baddie" who "accidentally" let go of the starting handle when they were three quarters of the way up the dune, so it ran all the way back down to the bottom, so they had to start all over again. The vehicle wasn't a Land Rover but was a lightish (three quarter ton?) army vehicle with a canvas top. Perhaps a Bedford, an Austin, or a Ford???

It starred - I think - John Mills and a bloke with a "square face" and a S. African accent (can't remember his name, sorry) and the (blond) love interest was someone like Shirley Eaton, etc, etc, etc.

I MUST have been quite young when I saw that because I remember more about the vehicle than the girl! :(

Nope!
the baddie actually did most of the grunt work.
it was the nurse who thought she could help.
Was Sylvia Simms by the way

baddie was Anthony quail

I only know about all of this because her majesty watches it several times a year.

Antony Quail! That's the bloke, thanks lurker. And Oh, Sylvia Simms eh (another Ealing Studios "great")! OK then, you got "the starter for 10", so now, what make was the truck????? (Ask her majesty)? :)

Me? I haven't seen that film in yonks, 'onest (we don't get so many UK film repeats here).

Classic! From buying a Landy to Silvia Syms in a nurses outfit via a variety of classic cars, moggies and Lada's dressed up as tanks!

As I stated previously, the truck is an Austin K2 ambulance, same chassis as used forthe Matador 25pdr gun carriage

I had an Austin Gypsy. Awesome thing, rusty as an anchor. It had a throttle on the dash, so I could drive it standing up, screen down, flat out at 48mph. :)
If you put the series two in low box ,first gear it would drive itself along at walking pace, with nobody in the drivers seat. Rumour has it that this was a requirement for the British army.

I had an Austin Gypsy. Awesome thing, rusty as an anchor. It had a throttle on the dash, so I could drive it standing up, screen down, flat out at 48mph. :)
An S2 I used to own had a hand throttle underneath the dash - great for using the PTO I suppose....

To be fair everything bad that has been written - and more - about old Landies is correct. (NEVER buy a 90 with a NA Diesel engine - trust me they are slow and loud).

Mind you - despite the cold, the lack of power, the lack of heating, the lack of braking, the lack of dryness (Leaking from the door top seals) I ALWAYS used to smile driving my S2a. I do miss it. (But it wouldn't be good for a 100 mile round trip)

Worst about military 110 etc was the whine of of the mil spec tyres. God that drone was awful. Tread pattern first introduce in the 30s and never changed.

Back