Lancelot Chain Saw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

OK - I think I am ready to have a go!!

I have just picked up a Lancelot chainsaw 4" disc blade on eBay and would like to have a go at a simple 'twist' vase (think Stuart Mortimer but pre-school rather than top grade university in terms of complexity for my first attempt).

http://www.starkiesharp.com/page28_kats_product_page1.html

Has anyone got / had a go with these? Any tips?

BRgds

Simon

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one I use a lot. Probably one of the more potentially dangerous tools there is. Be best if you started on some soft scrap wood, preferably a peice of log. As thats what there meant for. Make sure the piece is held absolutely secure. Make sure the grinder has the side handle on it and get a grip. Its much like using a disc sander but these things can "catch" every once in a while. There is no brake on it like a chain saw. And its turning at 8-10,000 rpm. When it cathes it will jerk violently to the left. So keep a firm grip.
I would add more but I have become use to it and somme things are reactionary. Make sure it is good and sharp before you start and the guard is on.

Dave

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Simon
It will make a big mess in the workshop!! I wear a full face mask when using mine, and watch out for the chipping hitting your arm-they sting :shock:
Definitely take a small bite at a time and if possible lean one arm against the workpiece for support.
Hope this helps,
enjoy
Philly :D