Lamp fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been asked to turn some table lamps, but they're insisting that they want the metal bulb fitting that is turned on/off by pulling a cord, see picture below.

However, I can't find any reputable sellers that have them with an earth connection? They're always dodgy listings on Amazon/Etsy with only L/N connections and insulated by cardboard??? No earth?

Just wondering if anyone knew of a source for these types of fittings that follow the necessary standards, which as far as i know means all metal fittings requiring an earth.

51r25IWq1rL._AC_SS350_.jpg
51PqnyhWRzL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I've had great success with Grandbrass in the US. They stock the E27 and B22 lamp holders in many configurations and ship to Europe. Several years ago, I ordered parts to fit out some Troika lamps with the B22 sockets.

It was so long ago but I remember the package weighed about three pounds and didn't go through the German Customs office, so all I paid was the list price and about $25 for shipping.

I think the one you linked has only two terminals; otherwise, it would state it was grounding like this socket:

https://www.grandbrass.com/item/soe27ab/lamp_sockets-international_lamp_sockets-e27_sockets/
It might be possible to replace the ceramic insert of the SOE27PCAB with the insert from the SOE27AB to have the pull chain and grounding. I had questions about my application, so I called them and the woman helped me select the parts I needed for my lamps.

Do the manufacturers claim that the fitting is double insulated? Or have the DI symbol. I've seen a few light fittings recently that do, but IMO they are stretching it a bit. In which case you wouldn't need a earth. If in doubt I wouldn't fit metal.

Have you tried lamp spares!

https://www.lampspares.co.uk/
Pete

One of the first places that came up in a search. Oddly, they sell a bunch of American products that cannot be used in the UK. I assume because they ship out internationally

"
This E26 American lampholder is designed to be used in American only and not certified to be used in the UK.
Has full UL certification for the American Lighting industry.
"

Just been looking on the Snainton Woodworking website and noticed they have them just like you want.
Don't forget your nipples. (sold separately but also listed)

Ah sorry, misled you. Forgot you needed a chain pull. It occurs to me though, should be straightforward if you get an unearthed one to drill into the base bit and fit your own earthing stud with something like 2BA setscrew from the inside and a couple of nuts and washers outside. Meccanno even.

Sorry again.

Ah sorry, misled you. Forgot you needed a chain pull. It occurs to me though, should be straightforward if you get an unearthed one to drill into the base bit and fit your own earthing stud with something like 2BA setscrew from the inside and a couple of nuts and washers outside. Meccanno even.

Sorry again.

No problem. Thanks anyway.

I'm not going to do any DIY modifications on it though as it would be for someone else. So needs to be "Proper" :)

Back