Laminating plastic on door fronts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a few years ago about this, but cannot find the post. Thinking of making a funky birch ply cabinet with super glossed orange door and drawer fronts (The Wife is not so keen!) .

I came across this 3mm stuff

http://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/Acrylic_ ... uct_id=134

And wondered whether anyone has used this or whether I should be using something else.

Plan is to bond to the ply using epoxy?

Thanks

not sure if its exactly what you need but as a low cost alternative, any local pvcu door panel manuF will sell you a "skin". they are usually around 1.5mm thick and are around 2m x 900mm. shouldnt cost more than £10 and they are quite versatile. just a thought.

Hi flanajb

You could use it and it will bond with epoxy or even contact adhesive (the original perspex adhesive was just basic contact stuff). There are a couple of issues though.

It will scratch and mark easily and even careless cleaning with a dry duster will create fine scratches though thay can be pelished out with care.
It will expand / contract at a different rate to the backing board which can cause problems with "rippling" or even delamination. You could use framed doors and loose fit which would allow the movement but that might not be the look you are aiming for.
If there is one, you should get prices also from a local distributor of semi-finished plastics - Amari Plastics are the largest national group. If there's a signmaker anywhere near they will tell you who supplies them. Apart from the proper "PERSPEX" brand ( ICI ) there are a number of other manufacturers, colour will be available and prices can vary widely. The trade can easily get 35% off list so you need to push.

There used to be a flourescent orange available btw which looked a solid colour on the face but the edges glowed. I might even have a sample somewhere if I could find it.

As an afterthought, we used to sell an aluminium/plastic/aluminium ply product in 3mm and could get orange satin or gloss finish. Can't remember the name or prices but it was used for display, shop fitting and external cladding panels. You might be able to get engraving sheet as well but likely more expensive.

Personally, I would use MDF/C and just spray it - much cheaper - especially if the boss doesn't like it :lol:

Bob

andyacg":nch840cq said:
not sure if its exactly what you need but as a low cost alternative, any local pvcu door panel manuF will sell you a "skin". they are usually around 1.5mm thick and are around 2m x 900mm. shouldnt cost more than £10 and they are quite versatile. just a thought.
But will they do bright orange?

Lons":25v24g4t said:
Hi flanajb

You could use it and it will bond with epoxy or even contact adhesive (the original perspex adhesive was just basic contact stuff). There are a couple of issues though.

It will scratch and mark easily and even careless cleaning with a dry duster will create fine scratches though thay can be pelished out with care.
It will expand / contract at a different rate to the backing board which can cause problems with "rippling" or even delamination. You could use framed doors and loose fit which would allow the movement but that might not be the look you are aiming for.
If there is one, you should get prices also from a local distributor of semi-finished plastics - Amari Plastics are the largest national group. If there's a signmaker anywhere near they will tell you who supplies them. Apart from the proper "PERSPEX" brand ( ICI ) there are a number of other manufacturers, colour will be available and prices can vary widely. The trade can easily get 35% off list so you need to push.

There used to be a flourescent orange available btw which looked a solid colour on the face but the edges glowed. I might even have a sample somewhere if I could find it.

As an afterthought, we used to sell an aluminium/plastic/aluminium ply product in 3mm and could get orange satin or gloss finish. Can't remember the name or prices but it was used for display, shop fitting and external cladding panels. You might be able to get engraving sheet as well but likely more expensive.

Personally, I would use MDF/C and just spray it - much cheaper - especially if the boss doesn't like it :lol:

Bob
Thanks for the tips Bob. I think the movement issue will be very minimal as I would be bonding it onto birch ply or even MDF and they are very stable substrates. The bigger issue though as you have stated is that of scratching easily. Given the tribe in this house I can see it would be scratched in no time.

My avatar picture was only in the sitting room for a day before the youngest put a metal santa on the top of the tv. Yes you can probbaly guess the rest. It fell off and put a big dent in the top :-(

I think spraying is the way to go.

My avatar picture was only in the sitting room for a day before the youngest put a metal santa on the top of the tv. Yes you can probbaly guess the rest. It fell off and put a big dent in the top

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there - done that #-o but then I guess most of us have

Bob

Latest posts

Back