Laminated softwood bench tops.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fairly sure the clamps Paul Sellers is using are available at 6 pounds each from axminster tools. You are going to need a set of clamps whatever happens so it is not like you are buying a jig for a one off job. Of course you could always use lengths of rope to clamp it up if you were unable to stretch to clamps at the time you were building your bench. I used to use a length of rope or stout string and twist a pencil length stick into the rope to tighen it round the work piece. I saw a teacher mend a chair like that more than 30 years ago and it certainly works.

Thanks Phil for giving my poor description a proper name. I still use this method for finer worker, like picture frames and boxes as it a lot lighter and so more delicate than clamps but is still does the job.

Gerard

I see that I am fortunate to live in a place where I can buy standing birches and can get them sawn and build anything I want from them.

My great-great-grandfather's old bench which was also my first bench has a pine bench top but in my oppinion it is way too soft for regular use. My present bench is built from birch and it is much better. It was probably built in the 1950's and is now slowly wearing out it's second owner (me).

bugbear":1lbba87b said:
Ah - the "Robert Wearing" first class cut technique; make a 'V' with a chisel prior to sawing. Probably overkill in this instance, but reliable.

BugBear

I don't think it's a technique anyone owns - my woodwork teacher at school in the 70s was a Mr Vines, who didn't write any books, but he did show us how to cut a line for the saw to run in!

AndyT":35miwiut said:
bugbear":35miwiut said:
Ah - the "Robert Wearing" first class cut technique; make a 'V' with a chisel prior to sawing. Probably overkill in this instance, but reliable.

BugBear

I don't think it's a technique anyone owns - my woodwork teacher at school in the 70s was a Mr Vines, who didn't write any books, but he did show us how to cut a line for the saw to run in!

I withdraw my phrasing and offer "the technique Robert Wearing described as suitable for first class work".

BugBear

I hope they get the rest of the videos up soon but he seems to be too busy playing with mortice chisels at the moment :roll:

Still cant complain too much, Sellers online stuff has been a useful information source for me the last few weeks. Tryed the knife and chisel the line method today and was pleased with the results.

Imagine the weather might be an issue.

Noel":2p7lga4n said:
Imagine the weather might be an issue.

Fair comment - though the way things are going, there may well be some who would value some solid information on underwater bench-building.

Well, mortising is a necessity when producing the bench leg frames. I think covering the aspects of tool choices and crafting techniques is totally relevant to both build and adequate instruction. :)

Latest posts

Back