laminate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my router table top and would like to laminate the replacement... Unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding where to buy the stuff. Does anyone know a good place to look?

Cheers

Alan

I have sheets of the stuff spare but it's just getting it to you. What size are you after, as i have some nice deep red at the moment along with plain white

Andy

Jewsons can get it on order at least - a bought a whole sheet of it a while back.
Also sheet goods places like www.edens.co.uk do it.
I did this once but wasn't that convinced it offered a lot benefits over just plain MDF - MDF is pretty smooth - you can also use a wax finish for more smoothness. Another option which is what I use presently is some kitchen worktop - although you need to check it's flat. Already laminated and you can get offcuts very cheaply from B&Q etc.
Cheers
Gidon

In your part of the world - Arnold Laver (Leeds, Bradford) or Lawcris Panel Products (Leeds). BTW I'm in the Pennines, so not too far away.

Scrit

Looked for ages myself recently and found that no one seemed to stock it these days, but is available if you order it from somewhere like Jewsons.

Cost about £35 for a 10' by 4' sheet, and comes rolled up so not too difficult to fit in the car.

sxlalan":3kalvep8 said:
I'm looking at upgrading my router table top and would like to laminate the replacement... Unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding where to buy the stuff. Does anyone know a good place to look?

Cheers

Alan

I've looked at most of the laminates manufacturers and my only contention was it's only 0.8 mm thick some makes are even thinner. I'm going to use a polycarbanate sheet 6mm thick.

Lord Nibbo":1c6u4dgw said:
I've looked at most of the laminates manufacturers and my only contention was it's only 0.8 mm thick some makes are even thinner.
Laminate thickness is down to whether or not it's vertical grade or horizontal grade. HG is made for countertops and is thicker. Laminate is about as hard as steel, it's main component being phenolic plastic (as in Tufnol). It doesn't need to be any thicker and it will last 15+ years in the average kitchen....

Lord Nibbo":1c6u4dgw said:
I'm going to use a polycarbanate sheet 6mm thick.
Why not go and cadge an offcut/scrap piece of acrylic (Perspex) from the local sign makers? It's harder than polycarbonate, so it wears better, and if you do want to go mad and buy some it's also cheaper than polycarbonate as well as being a darned sight more rigid and easier to get a decent edge on.

Scrit

Scrit":23tdh2kg said:
Lord Nibbo":23tdh2kg said:
I've looked at most of the laminates manufacturers and my only contention was it's only 0.8 mm thick some makes are even thinner.
Laminate thickness is down to whether or not it's vertical grade or horizontal grade. HG is made for countertops and is thicker. Laminate is about as hard as steel, it's main component being phenolic plastic (as in Tufnol). It doesn't need to be any thicker and it will last 15+ years in the average kitchen....

Lord Nibbo":23tdh2kg said:
I'm going to use a polycarbanate sheet 6mm thick.
Why not go and cadge an offcut/scrap piece of acrylic (Perspex) from the local sign makers? It's harder than polycarbonate, so it wears better, and if you do want to go mad and buy some it's also cheaper than polycarbonate as well as being a darned sight more rigid and easier to get a decent edge on.

Scrit

I appreciate your comments, they are very constuctive. Anyone ever used the sheets that are normally supplied for fire backs? by fire backs I mean the type that are usually immitation granite. I can get this in white quite cheap locally.

Thanks for everyones advice, I will try and turn some up from the sources suggested.

Andy, thanks for your offer! My top is currently 900x600 and I would be looking to do both sides ideally in white. As you say though, getting to you to pick it up is a bit of a drive! I will try some of the local supliers and see what I can turn up around here! Thanks again though.

Alan

Let us know as i can always sandwich it between hardboard and you could arrange collect via parcelforce or someone

Andy

Latest posts

Back