laminate - what grabby glue will allow adjustment??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you help please?

Have a repair to do in a yacht, a window has leaked and damaged the ply and laminate around it.

Hoping to glue new Formica laminate over the top of the existing damaged (but patched up) wood effect laminate as to remove the ply and replace completely requires a lot more surgery.

What glue would allow me to position the shaped laminate but offer some grab fairly quickly? The surface is about 10 degrees off vertical so gravity is working against the glue.

rgds

If I understand corectly you are sticking laminate to laminate, if so then once the two go together then there is no way for any solvent to escape, so the drying phase needs to take place before the joint in closed up ie contact/impact type adhesive or an epoxy type which will need clamping while it cures.
I think contact well touch dry and work out a way to aline it all up first.

Dunlop Thixofix is designed for this sort of job - it is a contact adhesive but has a limited bit of "slidability" until it is firmly pressed down.
Hope this helps
Graham

Back