Laminate Trimmer or Dremel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a mad spree of building doored bookcases and with some 30 butt hinges to fit I was thinking of buying a small router.

In searching the Ax catalogue I found thew Makita 3708F with tilting base, but slightly cheaper would be a Dremel Multipro 3950 with router cutters and routing attachment, plus the Dremel may have other uses.

Any thoughts out there? I'm edging towards the Makita but my question really is how useful is a Dremel Multipro 3950 for a hobby furniture maker and of course general DIYer. i.e is it a gimmick yes or no?

Andy

Andy,

For just nine quid more you could have the excellent Trend T5 router. Nicely specced c/w storage case. Worth a look?

Ike

Andy,
I have the Dremel Pro and find it usefull for all sorts of things around the home and workshop. I have been looking at using it for routing and you might like to know that the Dremel website shows a router base with side handles that Axminster have confirmed that they are now stocking (ref no 323080 £30.49 in VAT) & will be in the 2005 catalogue.
I am think of using it for cutting the grooves for some inlay on my competition box. If you can wait a few days - probably a week - I'll let you know how I got on.

AndyP

I'm already the proud owner of a T9, T%, and a Makita 8mm router and so was looking for a small router to compliment that set,

Mainly to free rout (no jig) butt hinges , i.e. take out most of the wood and finish it with a chisel.

But thanks for the pointers so far

OK ANdy

I too have an 1/2" router and T5 and when I recently needed to inlay some wood without a jig, I went for the obvious choice after my experiences with Trend gear - T3

T3 can be removed from the baseplate and used in a similar fashion to a (overpriced IMHO) dremel.

BTW, have you seen the price of the cutters for the dremel?? :eek: :shock:

A nice feature of the Trend T3 is the price!

Ike

Alf":2vcqkbg6 said:
AndyBoyd":2vcqkbg6 said:
Mainly to free rout (no jig) butt hinges , i.e. take out most of the wood and finish it with a chisel.
It's no good; I tried to resist, really I did. Butt Mortise Plane.

Cheers, Alf :oops:

Only double the cost of the T3 and without a tail :p

Alf, have you ever used one of these (stupid question time)? I was wondering how one stops the cut - chisel ends first?

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm still angeling towards the Makita, but Tony at 13 quid for a set of Dremel bits from Ax, that isn't too bad I thought.

I must admit the angle base plate and the lights are a big pull on the Makita

Interesting Alf. To be honest it is about the same method I always use to cut hinges in except I cut out the chips with the chisel after I have made the 1/4"-1/2" cuts along the mortice.

Same here. I didn't say a butt mortise plane is needed; it's just a linkable alternative to a tailed demon :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Andy, I can definately recommend the Makita's for you. I have two which I use all the time on site and in the workshop specifically for taking out the bulk of the wood when setting in hinges free hand because it is so much quicker and with the depth set it gives a perfect fit every time. I use mine in conjuction with a 3 or 4 inch Butt Marker which lays out the outline and then use the Makita to work to the lines and take the corners out with a Corner chisel. It will hinge out a door in around 4 minutes. The one thing I would advise with them though is to make sure the switch on the top is OFF when you plug it in because if not it can surprise you if you think it is off and there is no soft start on it.

Great DAZB

The final arm twist is in place, the Makita it is and thanks for the switch tip, albeit I have one space in my tool cupboard for a another plane and a butt mortise one would be a nice edition, mind you so would the L/N shooting plane - Ah temptation temptations

A

Back