Laminate flooring scratch repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfusion

Reaction score
Our baby has kindly scratched our laminate floor.

Has anyone have any advice on how to repair this?

IMG_20201126_102424.jpg

It's a satin finish so I've been pretty carefully trying to polish it out with some beeswax and a cloth but can't say that's improved it any!

Last edited:
You can buy proprietary scratch repair compounds & there’s you tube videos showing them, I’ve filled scratches before with libron coloured wax sticks.

Last edited:
I hope you’ve got your tools well locked up!
If you can’t remove it I suggest you treat it as a reminder of happy days.
Just curious what was it the little darling used?

You can buy proprietary scratch repair compounds & there’s you tube videos showing them, I’ve filled scratches before with libron coloured wax sticks.
Thanks, I'll have a Google for those.

I hope you’ve got your tools well locked up!
If you can’t remove it I suggest you treat it as a reminder of happy days.
Just curious what was it the little darling used?
Yep, everything is locked away safe. Though I'm looking forward to the days we can start doing little projects together.

Can't say for certain how he's done it but I suspect it's some fisher price plastic contraption. Makes me think the finish must be wearing thin!

We've already got a selection of household damage to remember lockdown 2020 with new baby by 😂

It's a satin finish so I've been pretty carefully trying to polish it out with some beeswax and a cloth but can't say that's improved it any!

Yes, laminate floors is made of two things.

1. A photograph of wood grain
2. A high density board made of compressed wood fibres / dust

Polishing the photograph will not make it come back if it has been scratched.

If you darken the scratch that will make it much less visible. The best tool if you don't have other supplies is a medium dark brown Sharpie pen or similar ( don't go too dark) If you make a mistake you can always lighten it a bit by rubbing the applied marker pen with a cloth dampened (not wet) with meths or vodka if you don't have anything else.

If you darken the scratch that will make it much less visible. The best tool if you don't have other supplies is a medium dark brown Sharpie pen or similar ( don't go too dark) If you make a mistake you can always lighten it a bit by rubbing the applied marker pen with a cloth dampened (not wet) with meths or vodka if you don't have anything else.

The only problem with this I find is that the second you put any ink on it it goes black as it sinks into the MDF no matter the co

Sorry for the above message I'm just new here and must have got excited and don't know how to delete!!😂😂

The only problem with this I find is that the second you put any ink on it it goes black as it sinks into the MDF no matter the colour.
The liberon sticks are a soft wax and wont last any time on a floor.
Hard wax fillers applied with heat works well in deep scratches but going by the picture it doesn't look deep at all.
If I were doing the repair I would use the konig colour palette and paint in the grain, all you need to do is a light brown base colour then join up the the dark parts of the grain.
As long as you take the eye off it chances are no one will see it.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 17
  • lam scratch 1.jpeg
    lam scratch 1.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 16
Scots polisher - I can only go off what I have done myself on my own laminate which is on the lighter side and I use a light brown sharpie.

Your repairs in the photo are excellent.

Near invisible.

Thank you for posting. :)

Scots polisher - I can only go off what I have done myself on my own laminate which is on the lighter side and I use a light brown sharpie.

Your repairs in the photo are excellent.

Near invisible.

Thank you for posting. :)

Thank you very much, and your totally correct to do that too. I just prefer to try this method first just incase the colour of the ink seeps. Everyone has their own way of doing different repairs and I think the likes of this forum is a great way to learn different approaches!
Thank you for your response. 😁

Latest posts

Back