Laminate Floor Question Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This question kind of ties in with my other thread " Which Nails" thank you to all those who have replied on that one by the way.

My question is her indoors has decided she wants laminate flooring in the kitchen diner and is in the process of looking for a "Fitter" now me being tight wondered how difficult it is and is it in the realms of being easier enough for a beginner,if anyone has any tips they can give me re fitting Laminate flooring I would be greatful.

Thanks in advance

Dave

As ever, it depends what sort of job you would be happy with. I would say that pretty much anyone who is reasonably handy can put down laminate flooring if you are happy to put quadrant round where it butts up to skirtings and architraves. Howver, to me that looks horrible and the alternative is to remove skirtings and trim architraves which makes it much more of a job. in a kitchen you also have the problem of how to deal with the places where it runs round units. Another problem with a kitchens is that quadrant tends to get grubby and is difficult to keep properly clean.

In the end only you (or maybe your wife) can decide what you would be happy with.

Jim

yetloh":2df3vtwu said:
As ever, it depends what sort of job you would be happy with. I would say that pretty much anyone who is reasonably handy can put down laminate flooring if you are happy to put quadrant round where it butts up to skirtings and architraves. Howver, to me that looks horrible and the alternative is to remove skirtings and trim architraves which makes it much more of a job. in a kitchen you also have the problem of how to deal with the places where it runs round units. Another problem with a kitchens is that quadrant tends to get grubby and is difficult to keep properly clean.

In the end only you (or maybe your wife) can decide what you would be happy with.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply,I tend to agree that just running it up to the skirting board does not look very good. I think may bow to the Mrs and find someone who knows what they are doing :shock:

Hi Dave, I have laid a lot of these in the past and most important is to maintain the expansion gap, I always use a good quality product (usually fits and stays together better than some cheapies).
As has been mentioned, the problem areas are; going round door frames/architraves, under kitchen units and (if you are not wanting to use a moulding) removing skirting boards.
Door frames/architraves do need undercutting to avoid looking like a bodge, I have a dedicated saw which is, broadly speaking, a circular saw cutting horizontally (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=door+trimmer&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359), its possible to do the same thing with a hand saw making sure you cut deep enough to maintain the expansion gap :)
In the kitchen, take the kick-boards off, undercut the front 2" of any panels that sit on the floor and I use a holesaw for around the legs.
I realise this reply isnt a complete 'how to' but might give you a better idea whether you could manage it or not, if you do go for it and have more Q's, PM me i'd be happy to share. chris

You will need a good click system which is waterproof. The price has been mentioned earlier, cheapest is not the best in this case. Going round cabinets means lots of rips and checks. Easier if it is on legs and is only a run past the kicker and cut out round the legs. The kicker may need ripped.

Why not Rhino floor or equivalent with floor covering matching timber boarding of your choice, would be waterproof and hard wearing, mine has been down for the last 18 years still going strong. A choice for existing kitchen.

Solid strip flooring is another method but would need door alterations unless your door or doors has a big gap already and you would still need to remove skirting/architraves, etc.

Back