Laminate deign - any suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to laminate a structural L-shape beam using a central core and face plates. Each “arm” is 20” x 3”x2”. It will be supporting 75kg, and varnished not painted. It will be clearly visible and outdoors. Fancy joints or plain, there are so many options for joining the arms I’m a bit bewildered. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Not sure what you're after here. A sketch might help.
If it’s a properly laminated structure using, say, 10 x 5mm laminas, formed to produce a curved right angled bend, then it might support 75kg. However if it's basically a large bracket made of 2off 3x2's then it's going to need a brace or maybe a steel reinforcement hidden in the joint.
Brian

5E70E21C-FF02-4302-A958-300DEA2742B6.jpeg

Recumbent bike. Rough sketch of where I am at the moment. Still very early days at the moment. The joint in question is the boom to upright. The drawing shows a small “knee” to reinforce the joint. I would like to stay with all wood construction but metal or carbon fibre straps are not completely out of the question

Last edited:
My only insight is that it's going to be all about grain direction, but I guess you know that! So for the sake of brevity, if the joint turns through 90deg, then some of the structure will be at 45 deg to act as a web. And how you visualise the stresses should determine the size & shape of the joint.

Nothing like a challenge to keep the nodules sparkling!

I was once called on to replicate some ash framing members for a Morgan car - the angles curves and twists were interesting to make but as a purely wooden structure it was junk, with short grain at joints - but in its entirety it was a composite together with the screwed on aluminium body panels ...

Back