Lamello Classic C3 or Top 20s?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Restorer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm considering the purchase of a replacement (more accurate) biscuit jointer for my Makita.
It seems to be between the Lamello Classic C3 and the Lamello Top20s.
The Classic comes as a great kit with a Festool case and various useful bits and peices at £329 whereas the Top20 is £489 without the extras.

The only real difference i can see is that the Top20 has a twiddly knob on for cutter adjustment. Is this the only real difference for £200 or have i missed something?
Does anyone have either of these? Did you try both and then decide on one? and if so why?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I bought the classic C3 last year and not looked back since, it is incredibly well made and extremely accurate. I did think about the Top 20s but I just couldn't justify that kind of cash.

I think the Top 20s has got some kind of electronic speed control as well as the blade height adjustment you mentioned but I'm sure thats the only difference.

I can't fault the C3 at all, very nice piece of kit and you can stick the case on top of your festool vac too :D .Would definatley recommend it.

Cheers

Pete

Stephen - SWIMBO bought me the C2 yonks ago, fantastic machine, can't go wrong with anything from Lamello IMO but you need to dig deep into the depths of the wallet - Rob

Stephen
I have a Top20. The fine (height) control means that it is possible to centre a biscuit in various stock widths simply by dialling-in the position (from a plastic card supplied) - using the fixed fence presets and the dial control.
The electronic speed control incorporates a "soft start" which probably reduces the kick on startup. I suspect that the speed control also makes the unit a little quieter when not cutting because the motor is not running flat-out.
Top 20 kit comes in a wooden box, rather than the systainer box.
Overall the tool is very smooth and accurate - no regrets on my selection but maybe the C3 is better value for money.

Simon

If I was looking to spend that kind of money I would sack the biscuit jointer and buy a Domino system from Festool

Does everything a BJ can do and much more besides

Cheers
Brad

I have a C3 classic, fantastic piece of kick, mind you the kick at the start can make it a bit awkward to keep in it''s position every now and again (especially if you a biscuiting the centre of a plate to a pencil line, with no temp fence)

But is that worth the extra 100 quid or so - hmm maybe if your a pro

Good luck with the choosing

I agonised for a week before deciding I couldn't justify the extra. I still wonder occasionally if I made the right decision, but the C3 is so easy to set up and use I don't really think I'd choose the more expensive model. It would be useful, but I don't think it would be £100 more useful.

Back