Laguna Fusion 3 Tripping Breaker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel.l

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Laguna table saw and last night after setting it up I went to start it. It makes an attempt but trips the breaker before it gets going.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
Some things to mention are;
It's a 16amp socket
However I purchased the saw from IGM and it came with a "schuko" 16amp plug in which I bought a 16amp uk converter.
Would the converter have anything to do with it tripping or is it the breaker?

If anyone has any experience I would greatly appreciate it

See attached images

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_103536.jpg
    IMG_20200919_103536.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200919_103527.jpg
    IMG_20200919_103527.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200919_101026.jpg
    IMG_20200919_101026.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48
Almost invariably the solution is swap the breaker for a C rated one. This crops up routinely on here. Usually trips as soon as you try to start as start current is much higher than run current.

Thanks for you reply, Would I need an electrician to replace it?
It depends on the rules in Ireland, and on your competence. You should get one in, to check the circuit is suitable for a type C and is in good condition, and to rule out other faults.

On the other hand, at least in the UK, there is nothing in particular stopping you, the homeowner, from doing work on an existing circuit. If you must, get a breaker of the same brand and type (but C20 instead of B20) - in this case, a GE G61 range. Isolate the entire board before starting work.

I've already contacted the electrician who I got to install the electric in my garage he's going to do it for me. I haven't much experience in electrics and I'd rather it was done right,
Thanks for your help guys hopefully that is the problem

Thanks for your help guys hopefully that is the problem

That will solve the issue. I had exactly the same behaviour. Changed to a breaker with C characteristic and now it works.
(BTW it is also stated in the specs that it needs a C type (see screenshot below), but i also took the bet to try it with a more sensitive breaker...)

Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 09.26.34.png

Didn't even notice that but then I didn't know there was a type c breaker. Thanks for clarifying. Did you purchase the same saw how are you liking it?

Hi all

This is odd because you have a 2200 watt motor and 250mm blade saw and it trips a 16 amp breaker, my table saw is also 2200 watt but with a 315mm blade and runs from a 13 amp socket with no issues. If you assume a Pf of 0.9 then it is only 10 amps running current.

I think it has to do with the fast start motor the blade I believe spins up very fast, my old table saw which has a 4hp motor has never tripped the breaker because it has a slow start motor.
It something Laguna should add really

Didn't even notice that but then I didn't know there was a type c breaker. Thanks for clarifying. Did you purchase the same saw how are you liking it?
There are type
A, very seldom seen
B, the most common in the U.K.
C for higher inrush current loads, usually motors
D with an even higher inrush tolerance, very unlikely to be found in a domestic situation.

Where I live type C is the only ones you will usually find.

unless you know the calculations required just swapping in a different type may make your wiring fail certification.

Hi

If the motor spins up fast that suggest a light initial load and therefore lower current. One reason why the current may be higher could be due to volt drop in the wiring, so as Jerome pointed out just changing something to make it work is not always the right solution. If a sparky comes along and fits the C type breaker then you have some confidence that was the right solution and voltage drop is within 5% of supply.

Didn't we have this whole saga with my bandsaw? just change it to a type C and you'll be fine, if you want a ton more info, check out the thread i posted about my laguna bandsaw. I had a type B and it was doing thee same thing you mention.

Had to fit c type for my laguna fusion 3 as well ,but to be fair it says that in the instructions ,good saw

If it dims the lights on start up, maybe your armoured infeed is close to capacity. I used to have this in my workshop and my electrician beefed up the armoured supply very substantially )I wanted two 16 amp active supplies and a spare).

Last edited:
Back