Lack of Woodworking programs on TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cancelled my television licence. The BBC tell me they will be in touch in 2 years time, just to make sure. If I want to watch anything, it's YouTube, DVDs and Amazon Prime. The continual advertising upsets me but I'm pineapppled if I'm going to pay good money just to do away with those inconveniences.

John
Adverts? I have Adblock+, Ghostery and Privacy Badger installed, and never get adverts, unless the Youtuber has a promotion inside their video, which I skip through :LOL:

Assuming you're referencing the guy with face tattoos on "The Chop" (Darren Lumsden)? Load of nonsense, Sky doing the usual corporate buttocks-covering. Case of demand for racism far exceeding supply.
The 'demand' for racism should be zero, surely, so any 'supply' is too much.

He said 88 was the year his father died - but his father is still alive!

This is way off subject, I realise.

Magazines are of interest of course but there comes a time when reading them is just a trip down memory lane . I don t profess to know everything but I do find much in the content that is just repeat regurgitation!! Incidentally I have some mags ready for someone who asked for them but my memory cells are not always working!

John

Proper woodworking is so boring to watch though even if you have a mild interest.
That's not quite fair, in my day I could get a class enthralled when I demonstrated a set of dovetials. I even got them laughing with the trick demonstration of the difference in strength of long and short grain.

That's not quite fair, in my day I could get a class enthralled when I demonstrated a set of dovetials. I even got them laughing with the trick demonstration of the difference in strength of long and short grain.

Would I be right in saying that your class would’ve had more than a mild interest though?

I started woodwork at school in 1950. Hand tools of course and you could count yourself lucky if you happened to be given a metal bodied plane. If anyone could claim boredom watching dovetailing videos it would be me. Not so however. There's plenty of entertainment in cussing at the screen and reminding oneself that's not the way to do it it. Ho ho ho!! Joking of course.
John Bullar and Richard McGuire are my favourites. No pomp; no wasted effort. Just skill and sharp tools. This sort of woodwork never gets boring.

John

Adverts? I have Adblock+, Ghostery and Privacy Badger installed, and never get adverts, unless the Youtuber has a promotion inside their video, which I skip through :LOL:
Nick.
Thank you. Unfortunately my TV is not a true 'smart' TV. All l can do is stream from my broadband connection with a Firestick. To use ad block etc I think I would have to watch on my PC. Not so much comfort in the corner!

John

I think TV is it's own thing, 'real' woodworking can be very boring and is done at quite a slow pace with hand tools a pace that modern life isn't used to seeing, which without professional editing doesn't make great entertainment, most of the big youtubers are very estute with editing and production, or they hire somebody when they get enough attention, I think youtube can be just as bad as TV though, there's plenty of rubbish on there as well as the good stuff, I get the most valuable information from books.

I think youtube can be just as bad as TV though, there's plenty of rubbish on there as well as the good stuff, I get the most valuable information from books.

True indeed, but you soon figure out which channels are good to watch. I'm amazed by how many unguarded table saw blades I see on the internet though.....

Thank you for the replies so far, I too would like one on hand tools but I would settle on anything that would inspire me. I am subscribed to a lot of woodworking videos on YouTube but it would be nice to see something on TV. The Tv seems to be over saturated with programs on cooking etc.
Have a look at 'The English Woodworker.' If you want expert, no nonsense hand woodwork.

there are a few (very few) bits on HGTV (home and gardens tv) on freeview, I've also enjoyed the restoration specials on salvage hunters, but really tv is for entertainment rather than teaching so youtube does become the obvious choice.
Thank you for this suggestion, I don't seem to be able to get it in my area but I will try to find a way.

Not a show as such, but Paul Sellers channel on YouTube might be worth a look.
Thank you, I`ve already subscribed to this and a lot of other YouTube channels. It would be nice if I could bunch my woodworking subscriptions into a folder rather than scroll through all the other ones i have.

Unless you can download Youtube videos you can't really organise them like that. I use post it notes and note the name of the channel or the channel owner's name. Easy to find them that way. HTH

John

Unless you can download Youtube videos you can't really organise them like that. I use post it notes and note the name of the channel or the channel owner's name. Easy to find them that way. HTH

John
You can ‘save’ to custom playlists. Saves having to right it down.😉

if only we could all work as fast as Norm.

“tomorrow we’ll construct the cabinet, make the drawers and apply the finish”

Yeah right all in a days work eh Norm!

Back