Lack of Woodworking programs on TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie555

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Does anyone like me get frustrated by the lack of Tv programs covering our hobby. I used to enjoy The new yankee workshop when that was on but there has been very little since, Sky has a channel called Discovery Shed that would seem like the perfect home for one but from what I can see this should be renamed The Fishing channel (not sure how much fishing gets done in sheds). Please tell me I`ve overlooked some Programs.

They did try. It was hijacked by a bloke covered in white supremacist tattoos. Lasted one episode.

However, I am not frustrated. If I want to see someone make something good I take myself off to my workshop and do that. If I want to see someone make a complete pigs ear of a joint, I take myself off to my workshop and observe in amazement as I do that too.

Allegedly the programme involving the Hammer machines that were sold off is still to come.

New Yankee Workshop was easy watching but I don’t think I ever saw Norm pick up a handtool?

The problem is they'd end up being like that one where they repair stuff, any technical detail is cut out to suit the masses rather than those interested in the techniques.

"now I need to chamfer this 18" board. I've set up my router station with a 45deg cutter and a stop block"

I don't think that mainstream tv is the place to expect to find useful woodworking info, there is however a massive amount of good quality woodworking vids on youtube.

Thank you for the replies so far, I too would like one on hand tools but I would settle on anything that would inspire me. I am subscribed to a lot of woodworking videos on YouTube but it would be nice to see something on TV. The Tv seems to be over saturated with programs on cooking etc.

I have been asked if I watch The Repair Shop by a number of people who seem to enjoy it. I have watched and enjoyed a few, but it seems to be a case of showing a small segment on a craft, or several crafts, with emphasis on the history and ownership of the item.
I think there would be interest in an updated Barry Bucknell type of "how to do it "programme but it would need to be updated to show quick and easy methods to hold the interest of the viewer in the hope of encouraging them to have a go. The "SOS building jobs" programmes are just telling a happy story of generous help given.
How to do it magazines have suffered since the Internet arrived (and it seems a swap from woodworkers playing journalist to journalists playing woodworker.)

Thank you for the replies so far, I too would like one on hand tools but I would settle on anything that would inspire me. I am subscribed to a lot of woodworking videos on YouTube but it would be nice to see something on TV. The Tv seems to be over saturated with programs on cooking etc.
Have you seen the Doucette and Wolf channel? True craftsmanship and well put together videos.

Latest posts

Back