Laburnum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, a ripping chain is just filed at 90 degrees to the bar as opposed to the standard 60 degrees for crosscutting (usually referred to as 30degrees). I bought a second chain today so that I can keep one chain dedicated to ripping. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow to make it clearer.

Yes I can see the similarities to Rosewood, it can be a lovely chocolate brown colour, it's close grained, quite oily and hard. It's one of my favourite timbers.

Cheers
Aled

Just for further reference, I've posted a new thread on Chainsaw sharpening, so that it can be found easier if anybody needs to search the forum in future for this info.

Aled Dafis":2sfpvcg9 said:
Just for further reference, I've posted a new thread on Chainsaw sharpening, so that it can be found easier if anybody needs to search the forum in future for this info.

Thanks for this ..will be a help to me :lol:

Aled Dafis":31tfbwhb said:

Which room is the post in Aled

gregmcateer":gj42qmu1 said:
I am having a nightmare ripping logs .....
A lot of stuff is easier to split, including laburnam. Shows a nice quartered grain pattern.

Chrispy":oqpwakmi said:
I always think of Laburnum as the home grown rosewood, very similar to work with and correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's of the same family too!

Chrispy,

Rosewoods are the Dalbergia family and include, in addition to the obvious such as Honduras Rosewood (Mexican Rosewood is not a rosewood!), Siam Rosewood, Rio Rosewood, Brazilian Tulipwood, Camlai, Tracwood, African Blackwood, Cocobolo, Kingwood, Sonokeling etc, Laburnum used to be used to make bagpipes (replaced by African Blackwood) and was frequently used as a substitute for Rosewood but is not of the same family.

Neil Farrer":gi4jike2 said:
Chrispy":gi4jike2 said:
I always think of Laburnum as the home grown rosewood, very similar to work with and correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's of the same family too!

but is not of the same family.

Are they not all Leguminous then? :duno:

gregmcateer":111igr9t said:
Jacob":111igr9t said:
gregmcateer":111igr9t said:
I am having a nightmare ripping logs .....
A lot of stuff is easier to split, including laburnam. Shows a nice quartered grain pattern.

Thanks for that, Jacob.

Will wood that's been split rather than sawn, still turn OK?

Greg
It depends on what you are making. If a long cylinder - tool handle, pen, etc. then riven is generally best because it splits along the grain. Then the blank will be straight grained with the best figure.

Chris is right, laburnum is a member of the pea family and so are the genuine rosewoods.

I'm with Jacob on splitting. Most of the time for things like ash and oak it works brilliantly provided there's no twisting in the grain which you can normally see in the bark. There is sometimes a bit more wastage than sawing because of some straying if you aren't lucky enough to have a froe. But acacia and elm may test your skills :wink:

Jon

I'd like to have a go at riving some time, but I don't have any suitable wedges or a froe (yet). Something too look out for at this summer's boot sales...

Aled Dafis":3a417ehf said:
I'd like to have a go at riving some time, but I don't have any suitable wedges or a froe (yet). Something too look out for at this summer's boot sales...
Any old iron will do more or less; cold chisel, wooden wedges etc.

Greg,

TFM @ Stableford Bridgnorth have some metal felling wedges, don't know if these would be any good to you :?:

Cheers

Steve :)

chipmunk":149tih04 said:
Chris is right, laburnum is a member of the pea family and so are the genuine rosewoods.
Sorry, but the True rosewoods are not members of the pea family! The true rosewoods are members of the Dalbergia family, Laburnum is a member of the fabaceae family. Some woods that are passed off as "rosewoods" that are strictly not rosewood are indeed members of the wider family that incorporates the pea family.

However it matters not a lot as it is a great UK grown wood.

Back