Laburnum and pewter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will321

Reaction score
End grain bowl in laburnum with pewter rim and foot. The weight of the pewter adds a good deal of heft to the bowl which feels pleasant in the hand.

See more at:

http://www.billharvey.blogspot.com

Attachments

• _DSC4479.jpg
    _DSC4479.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,105
That looks beautiful Will , a real Gem =D> I think Paul Hannaby is working with pewter as well
Thanks for posting

Pewter really seems to have a quality that works well with many woods; was looking as some work in progress last week with another turner.

This piece looks no exception to the above, a great match up that may even improve as the shine goes from the metal enhancing the finish on the wood. Like the form too.

Then there's the 'first catch your pewter' issue for those that are looking to have a go - I hesitate to melt down good drinking vessels!

Bill, do you get any problems with, natural wood movement against the pewter.

Chas, always a little movement but using end grain at least the rim won't cup. I prepped the pewter ring and then trued the laburnum rim and tongue just prior to epoxying the ring. I was trying to leave the bowl wall pretty thick to balance with the weight of the metal, about a 1/4 ". It's certainly a challenge to cut a thick green bowl with the pith included. The pewter's strong enough to not distort; the only danger is it adding tension to the wood as it dries. The growth rings in the laburnum were quite concentric which helps.

Hope that helps, drop me a comment on the blog if you have more questions.

Thanks, Bill

Bill,

I love the bowl and the pewter rim. Personally, I think the pewter foot is a little too "tall" for the bowl and if it was about half the height might be better proportioned. Overall, though, a stunning piece.

Mike

will321":1hn4q3vp said:
...The pewter's strong enough to not distort...

Thanks, Bill

That answers my question :) I wasnt sure if pewter was softer, a bit like lead, that may have moved along with the wood.
Beautiful piece, (although I,m with Mike on the foot size) I hope the piece of Laburnum i bought last week turns out a similar colour.

Latest posts

Back