LA Jack maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I took the adjustable front sole off my Jack yesterday to clear any dust from the slideways. Just as I was about to replace I saw that the edge of the throat where the shavings go was black. It was like the resin you see on router bits but I have not machined any resinous wood. I could only remove with some 800 wet and dry and then a polish. don't know if it made any difference, but left there it would not have helped.

Rob , maybe but the crust was quite thick, anyway I am now convinced that it is smoother to use when the mouth is tight. I don't know if you have noticed that the shavings come of quite warm on hard woods, I wonder if there is a chemical reaction.

Pete,

I have found that when planing woods like Oak, there is often a build-up of black gunge that forms on the cap iron (bevel down planes :) ), so although Oak isn't resinous, there is still some gunge of some sort that is released when you plane it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2a61772f said:
Pete,

I have found that when planing woods like Oak, there is often a build-up of black gunge that forms on the cap iron (bevel down planes :) ), so although Oak isn't resinous, there is still some gunge of some sort that is released when you plane it.

Paul

Seconded. I've also seen the "black" build up on the sole of larger planes (e.g. #6).

BugBear

I gave my planes a clean up yesterday and although I use English oak quite a lot did not notice any black build up.
I do tend to smother them in camellia oil (inside and out) so perhaps that prevents it? Rust paranoia!

Rod

I should make it clear, this was not on the base of the sole, it was on the inner face of the mouth where the shaving is turned through ninety degrees. I am sure I would not have noticed this if the front sole was not removable.

newt":345kwpus said:
it was on the inner face of the mouth where the shaving is turned through ninety degrees.

I'm sure that's from the Oak you've been using, Pete. Sounds very similar to what I get on the end of my cap iron and also on the blade of my scraper plane when I've been working on oak. As you say, the shavings get quite warm as they come out of the plane - must be the speed at which we plane :)

Paul

Paul,
I sometimes get a black foggy mist in front of my eyes just before I write a cheque for a tool -
Does the doctor think it is because of the speed at which I co****t?
Yours worried from Dorset.... :?

mahking51":kiirhook said:
Paul,
I sometimes get a black foggy mist in front of my eyes just before I write a cheque for a tool -

Dear Worried from Dorset,

Most probably.......... :lol:

Yours,

Doctor Paul

mahking51":2e9cvh05 said:
Paul,
Dear worried in Dorset - now you've got me worried :lol: :lol: - Rob (worried in Wilton)

Dear Worried from Dorset,

I have looked up the recommended treatment for your condition in the British Medical Journal. If you give me one of your tools, three times a day, after meals, the the condition will gradually improve, hopefully completely disappearing after about five years.

Yours sincerely,

Doctor Paul

Paul Chapman":1ibzwyyi said:
As you say, the shavings get quite warm as they come out of the plane - must be the speed at which we plane :)

Paul

I agree as well. I have noticed that when planing the harder woods the shavings are noticeably hot. It's probably the friction of the wood against the blade. You can wax the sole of the plane but you can't really wax the blade to reduce friction. I've also noticed black gunk on the adjustable mouth of my bevel up planes.

A casual guess would be that the heat created when the shaving is being formed causes some of the chemicals within the wood to vaporize. These would condense on the cold metal of the movable toe. I bet that if you analyzed the black gunk it would be similar to the creosote that condenses in your chimney.

Dave you could be right.The only issue for me is that it is easy to see and remove on a plane with a removable sole, but not so easy to spot and remove on a fixed sole.

Paul,
One three times a day for five years.....
Doesn't sound nearly long enough! :roll: :oops: :roll:
Martin
(who just bought three weeks worth yesterday!) :oops: :oops:

Back