L shaped coner unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
As part of a kitchen refurb we have two internal corners

Now swmbo wants L shaped base units with the doors hung to open out of the corner so when open to leave a wide opening doors will be 500mm wide to gain maximum access

Has anyone done something like this and did it work out ok

Any advice would be welcome

Cant cope with sketchup so no drawings

If you have 500mm wide doors on a L shaped corner unit it will work but the unit will have to be about 1100mm x 1100mm, a standard flat pack a about 900mm x 900mm with 300mm doors.

So if you have the space you will be fine

Tom

You will have to think about the knobs/pulls that you use on these doors as they need to be very shallow and you will no doubt need to use them throughout the design.

An alternative that I have on a wall cupboard is one door hinged off the other. They are only about 200-250 wide. It is OK ish but does droop a bit so you need a very strong hinge on the carcass.

Bob

One way around the handles hitting is to put a corner post in which is attached to one of the doors which means then have the clearance for the handles.

This does mean that the doors will be slightly smaller.

The best thing to do is to get a piece of hardboard or scrap ply the size of the finished cupboard and draw it in plan full size including all the door section sizes etc.

This means you will see any problems with the handles hitting before you make it and can adjust accordingly.

Tom

If you're still at the design stage, it's worth looking at the Blum site for corner cupboard ideas http://www.blum.com/gb/en/11/01/index.php

They've recently introduced a corner drawer arrangement where the drawers fit right into the furthest corner. Seems a great idea to me, although I don't know what the fittings cost. Corners are always a problem when it comes to maximizing use of the space and in that respect this looks like a good solution.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

This base unit is what I used in two corners of our kithchen.
This wall unit is what I used above those base units.
They work well but it's very hard to get at stuff right at back of the units - particularly the wall units.

I know you probably don't want to go to Ikea, but they might give you an idea or help eliminate something.

Those Blum corner drawers look good and solve my accessibility issue, but do waste two triangles of space each.

Could you put in a standard rectangular base unit in at 45 degrees to both walls and make two specials to go along side to mitre in with the back longer than the fronts.
Access should be fairly easy into both side units and you could have drawers or a conventional cupboard in between.
The only downsides I can think of is you would lose a little floor area and the worktop would be a bit more 'interesting'.

Bob

9fingers":100t97ij said:
You will have to think about the knobs/pulls that you use on these doors as they need to be very shallow and you will no doubt need to use them throughout the design.

An alternative that I have on a wall cupboard is one door hinged off the other. They are only about 200-250 wide. It is OK ish but does droop a bit so you need a very strong hinge on the carcass.

Bob

Yes one of the things that concerns me is the door knobs in the corner I realise I will probably have to fix a fake corner post to one of the doors
I don't think it is on to hang one door off the other because of the size

I already sugested a unit at 45 degrees swmbo vetoed it

Thanks for your replys

In our current kitchen, the corner wall cupboard has two doors hinged at the outside edges; one has a knob, the other has a false post on the meeting edge. So the one with the knob has to be opened first, but it works fine.
In the previous house, I made a pair of doors with piano hinge down the corner join. No problems with sagging, but the doors were only about 250mm - might be tricky with 500mm each

Yes the idea is to use a cock bead face frame and either butt or 170 degree hinges to get the doors to open as flat against the adjoining units as posible

It sounds from the replies that this is feasible .

Perfectly feasible and sounds like you've got it sussed John, as you've concluded dont hinge the doors together as they'll drop

Back