L-N Spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
As mentioned earlier I have ordered the small bronze Preston style spoke shave from Lie-Nielsen. It arrived this morning (courtesy of Axminster!).
shave1.jpg

Its a surprisingly cute little thing, much smaller than a regular shave.
shave2.jpg

I chose the curved bottom shave, as I wanted to clean up the inside faces of curved legs for a cabinet. L-N state in their blurb that the shave is designed for final finishing shavings, and if you look at the size of the mouth you'll agree.
shave3.jpg

In use the shave feels wonderfully delicate, lending itself to fine finishing strokes. The iron needed only a little final honing, as L-N's seem to do, and takes delightful fine shavings.
shave4.jpg

So, am I pleased I bought it?
Oh yes, it is a pleasure to use, although you will need a bigger shave to remove the bulk first. I could find no fault with its manufacture, and look forward to it gaining that lovely patina that bronze gets with use.
regards
Philly :D

P.s. Steve M, these photo's also show the finish on my veritas, hope this helps for comparison! :D

Hi Philly

Philly":gpm46frq said:
I could find no fault with its manufacture, and look forward to it gaining that lovely patina that bronze gets with use.

I didn't think that tools belonging to a c*ll***or ever needed to worry about that. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Oh Neil-you are asking for it!! :twisted: :wink:
I would like to have it put on record that I DO actually use my tools. Not all at the same time, granted, but they do see use. Some....
As proof, I am building a James Krenov inspired cabinet at the moment in Ovangkol and Spalted Sycamore. Oh yes, that quietens down comments about "oh, another tool?" in the Philly household. Nearly....... :lol:
Cheers

Check out this link, Unbelievers! 8)
http://www.philsville.co.uk/workinprogress1.htm

Looking good. I've never heard of ovangkol before - is the interlocked grain typical? More to the point, is it cheaper than walnut? :)

I must agree with Pete, looking good, but I think its despicable, stealing your daughters design ideas :wink:

Pete,
I bought a board 2 inch thick, 20inch wide 6 foot tall. £30. I reckon thats cheap! Itwas a quater sawn board as well, so the grain on the one face is wonderfully stripey. Grain on the stripey face is very interlocked, a real tough one. One the flat grained face it fine!
I believe it also goes under the name Amazaque if thats any help?
Dave,
Hey-my daughter nicked my cake, I nicked her design ideas! :lol: Fair in my book :lol:
cheers

Nice looking work Philly and nice to see one of our co*l*c**rs actually making something :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Edited to ask if I can have the services of your daughter next time I need to design anything - she's much better than me :cry:

Philly":312qn3x4 said:
a board 2 inch thick, 20inch wide 6 foot tall. £30. I reckon thats cheap!

I reckon that's cheap, too :). I have heard of amazaque, although don't think I've seen any before... oh, yes, here it is - first wood in my new Sound Wood catalogue from Craft Supplies*, and I quote:

"Already being used by some of the best acoustic guitar makers... the wood works and bends well. But the interlocked grain can make planing a little more difficult."

I'm still trying to improve my recognition of domestic woods; exotics are outside my area of inexpertise :).

* Very nice little catalogue, totally free, and full of interesting things related to wooden instruments, including full guitar kits. Order a copy here:
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

Waka was that to open yet another parcel from the tool suppliers, or on some wood. :wink:

Philly could you ask your daughter if she could apply her mind to a corner display cabinet with perhaps a cupboard below.........Ta

Bean

Waka":37fuk4vz said:
I've seen him use his tools. :twisted:
Surely that would be his sharpening tools though...?
tounge.gif

Philly, is your sprog any good at coffee tables, just while she's at the drawing board?
whistling.gif

Cheers, Alf

Philly,
It's nice to see design being done without the aid of some hi-tech CAD system. :lol:

Andy

Alright, back off you lot!
Guess I deserve it for the maximum gloatage though. :lol:
My daughter very kindly let me use her blackboard (made by Me last Xmas!!) for design purposes. Chalk not my best medium, but o.k. for spur of the moment inspiration!
Cheers

bugbear":1eddnaf3 said:
Totally OT; Philly, what digicam do you use? Your photos look excellent!

[smart alec reply warning]

Original date/time: 2004:11:29 19:14:25
Exposure time: 1/38
Shutter speed: 1/36.76
F-stop: 2.8
ISO speed: 100
Focal length: 6.0000
Flash: 16
Orientation: Top-left
Aperture: 3.0000
Light source: Unknown
Exposure bias: 0.0000
Metering mode: Pattern
Exposure program: Normal
Brightness: 3.2900
Digitized date/time: 2004:11:29 19:14:25
Modified date/time: 2004:11:29 19:14:25
Copyright:
Scene type: Photograph
Compression: 6
Camera make: FUJIFILM
Camera model: FinePix S3000

X resolution: 72.0000
Y resolution: 72.0000
Resolution unit: Inches
Camera version: Digital Camera FinePix S3000 Ver1.00
Colorspace: sRGB
File source: DSC

But Philly if you don't mind me commenting, I think you have your compression set too high on a lot of your website pictures?

Cheers

Gidon

Had a feeling his orientation was top left...

Noel, who is mighty happy with a Canon A80 Sureshot 4Meg, now superseded by the A85 at £169, £100 less than a year ago.....
PPS Try www.bristolcameras.co.uk nice people to deal with.

Gidon
You certainly ARE a smarty pants. Nice one Mate!
Paul,
Yes, I have the Fuji S3000, nice lil camera. 3 mega pixel, 6x optical zoom. The lens really makes the camera!
Think I may reduce the compression on the photo's, but was thinking about those poor dial-up folk. :cry: :lol:
cheers

Philly":eo6a1bfu said:
Think I may reduce the compression on the photo's, but was thinking about those poor dial-up folk. :cry: :lol:
Ah, bless you, guv. <tugs forelock in suitably dial-up humble manner>

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back