L.E.D batten... using the output

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I use the output connection from an LED batten to power a 'conventional' (low voltage) bulbed light? Im guessing yes as I imagine the output bypasses any stepping down inside the batten?
its a minor thing but it would make connecting up an outside light easier if I can just come out of the end of a batten. Thanks.

if you mean using the mains input connection of the batten to act as a junction box yes but be aware that the uotside light will only come on with the batten

yes... i mean using the connection coming out of the batten that would normally be used to link another batten. I would drop a switch line down for the outside light so no problem there.

Look at the specs of the batten.
If it's any good, there will be a number in there that tells you the max load that can be connected to the output terminal.
What this is really telling you is the rating of the internal wiring and connectors inside the batten between the input and output terminals.
This will give you information that is needed to determine if what you want to do is safe.
Bear in mind that no one on the internet can tell you that anything is safe, it's always on you.

Thanks guys, I've applied some common sense :oops:
As the first in the series of these battens has a 240v input (which feeds the second batten) then clearly the output from one to another has to also be 240v. Therefore it must be OK.
DOH!!!

But as Sidways has said the internal wiring is geared up to supply the next LED strip and may have a current limitation on it which may be exceeded depending on the light you are planning to use.

Mmm... they are 240v lights therefore the feed from the batten before it must provide a supply of 240v?
I've got only two... was intending to take the feed for the outside light from the second one (with a switched live).

But if the internal wiring is only rated for 240v at 0 .1 amps (about what an led draws) and you stick a 60w bulb on the other end (which is about 0.5 amps) the wire is going to get hot and possibly start a fire. Stick a 500w outside light on it and it's going to be interesting.

Hence why you need to know what its rated for.

Why don't you change the outside light fitting or bulb for an LED type? You won't have an issue with loading and will save money on electricity and bulb life so soon get the outlay back.
I've changed mine to 4w as well as all the security lights which were 150w now only 10w and just as bright.

If you connect the feed for your outside light directly from the batten light feed / input side which is your lighting circuit then there won't be an issue apart from it being a spur. I guess the only reason for considering taking it from the batten output connector is to use a plug.

Many led batten units only feed L&N through to the next unit, not CPC (E). If that's the case, make sure any downstream fittings and wiring are class 2 double insulated.

if it's rated for 80w then no reason you can't but it really isn't good practice, you'll also need the light turned on for the outside light to work.

Assuming a power factor of the cable inside is 0.8 (which is fairly common for small cable) it's rated for 0.4 amps max. your 20w bulb has most likely got a power factor of around 0.5 so will draw around 0.16 amps, so you are in tolerance. this is the back of a fag packet calculation though, so please confirm the numbers. for what it's worth, I agree with above, change that compact fluorescent to an LED.

Thanks all, Im going to come away from before the first batten now to feed the outside light, best to stick to prefered practice. It was only that I would save a few metres of cable so thought I would explore the possibility.

Latest posts

Back