Kunz Concave Spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Howdy Folks!

Having just recently found and registered on your forum, I am posting my first question for you 'quiet side' shavings makers.

Do any of you have experience with the Kunz (German I believe) brand of spokeshave? I'm interested in the concave shave and found it for $25 US which seems a decent price but then, no matter the price a poor tool reminds one of his mental limitations for life. I only want it to help speed the shaping of walking sticks which I occasionally make from whole saplings of appropriate diameter.

Thanks in advance,

BobH, Temple TX, USA

Welcome Bob!
I haven't used one but in James Krenov's "Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" he mentions the Kunz shaves- not great quality but can be tuned up.
Personally, I'd go for the Veritas shaves-great quality, A2 blades and well prices (for the quality). I believe the exchange rate with Canada is pretty good at the moment, too!
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Welcome to the forum, Bob. :D

I believe the general feeling is with Kunz you get what you pay for... $25? Hmm. :-k :wink: I suppose if you could look on it as a kit it might not be too bad a deal. If you go for it, let us know what you think won't you?

Cheers, Alf

Welcome Bob!

The Kunz shave will work on light work such as you mention. Its main problem is that the bed for the iron usually needs filed so the iron itself fully seats instead of only contacting the bed in a hit or miss way.

Also, the blade is rather thin so if you attempt too heavy a cut can cause chatter to occur.

Philly mentions Lee Valley / Veritas. A fine shave for not much more. If you click here it will take you to their web site:

Lee Valley web site I believe they are $65 US.

The flat bottom Kunz I purchased long ago too about 3-4 hours to be able to use without frustration.

I have heard that the Kunz line can be variable as to their make quality, so you might have better luck than I did.

Hi Bob,

I also recommend the LV shaves. I hesitated to pay so much for such a tool compared to the cost of a modern Stanley/Record offering (similar quality as Kunz) but when I picked one up and used it for the first time - boy! what a difference compared to my existing shave. You just don't have any problem with chatter etc. I know different folks swear by particular shaves since what is comfortable for one person may not be for another. Personally I get on just fine with the LV shaves and their big bulbous handles that suit my large meathooks.

They are IMO worth the extra cost. I got mine on a special at $149 for the set of 3. If you're tempted, would useful to try before you buy.

cheers

Ike

ike":2but052t said:
Personally I get on just fine with the LV shaves and their big bulbous handles that suit my large meathooks.
That's interesting, Ike. I found they were a bit small! :roll: Anyway, a nice opportunity for a small plugg-ette. :wink:

thumb_sshandle039.JPG

Cheers, Alf

Seems as if the consensus is that I should save my pennies until I can send a bagful to uncle Rob in Canada.

Thank you for the warm welcome and informative responses.

Alf, those handles are awesome!

BobH

MikeW":298d5kc6 said:
Lee Valley also makes a handle kit to make/mount those custom handles...Ah, a few more pennies to save :) .
Yep, that's what I used. Just waiting for them to bring out a similar kit for the bevel up jack now... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I second that Alf!

Now that I have had cance to use my LV LA Jack in anger, it doesn't half make my right hand sore!! :(

Like you, I have small hands. Although, when I tried using it with the workpiece clamped in my metal working vice (just below elbow height), it was much more comfortable - makes you think.....

Regards
Gary

Back