Kreg Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good cheap Kreg Jig or other ideas for drilling holes at an angle?
They all seem so expensive for what they are.

Thanks

I've had a look and ordered the Kreg R3 as recommended by Matt.
Thanks!

Thanks very much Matt!

From experience for soft wood is it better to use the Kregg screws or will normal wood screws do the job?

Bob1":300y8ky2 said:
Thanks very much Matt!

From experience for soft wood is it better to use the Kregg screws or will normal wood screws do the job?
Never use normal countersunk screws they could split the timber. use either kreg or similar.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I know some people baulk at the price of genuine Kreg screws but unless you are using hundreds per week then a box should last you quite some time.
And they are a really good quality screw that will do they job they are designed for without fuss.

Roughcut":13mmrsm0 said:
I know some people baulk at the price of genuine Kreg screws but unless you are using hundreds per week then a box should last you quite some time.
And they are a really good quality screw that will do they job they are designed for without fuss.

I used my mini jig for the first time yesterday. Either I've lost it or the screws and jig didn't come with the bit. If it doesn't that's a rip off considering the cost.

Agree about the quantity though, they'll last most people a long time as it's a big box.

There are different Kreg screws offered for different materials. In particular hardwood versus softwood versus MDF/chipboard. Most of their screws are flanged-head (WW1 helmet in profile), which is ideal, although I think some might be "cheese head" (rounded cylinder). You need a wide flange if possible, because it holds the joint tighter and avoids the head pulling through the wood too.

It matters a bit: I think you might get away with the softwood screws in chipboard, but the threads of the hardwood screws aren't really coarse enough for softwood (I've tried them on rough work), although they work fairly well on decent quality ply.

I still rate them (Robertson, or "square drive") highly, better than Torx. The screw sticks on the end of the driver, which is really handy if you're trying to work against gravity for some reason, and the alignment with the driver is good. That matters in soft materials: if you misfire with Torx you'll still drive it, but at the wrong angle. Once it's started cutting it will continue, risking compromising the joint or even breaking through or splitting the end-grain piece. If you back out and start again you risk stripping the hole.

You're not just paying for the Kreg name, but also for the time and effort they put into design. I think the UJK system comes close though, and it's nicely made, but the Torx screws really put me off.

You can get a lot of Kreg bits -- screws drills and driver bits -- on Amazon, and I found it slightly cheaper than eBay.

Apparently the robertson style screws are used in aeronautical circles and a lot to n canada. As such, I'm surprised they are not more common and therefore cheaper as they really are rather good.

In aeronautical circles I think you will find the most common type of fixings are cap head bolts.

Mike

The Kreg mini jig doesn't come with the driver bit.

I think the mini jig is probably designed to supplement one of the other jigs.

Their product page is quite helpful at showing what you get:

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c13/kreg-jigsreg/

I bought the R3 originally as I liked the depth gauge and txt you can use it butted up to work in place. I then had a load of drawers to make and decided that for speed is get the K5 and that's a great bit of kit when you have loads to do. The pocket hole machine would be nice if I was running a production line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't come with any screws either, so you don't need the Kreg driver bit. I use a long torx bit and obviously torx screws.

Wuffles":synv8y0v said:
Doesn't come with any screws either, so you don't need the Kreg driver bit. I use a long torx bit and obviously torx screws.
Do you get them from Axi?

Monkey Mark":3t5g1g57 said:
Wuffles":3t5g1g57 said:
Do you get them from Axi?
Yep. I'm not a heavy user, bought a load of them a couple of years ago and have made a slight dent in the boxes since then. Fine for hardwoods, coarse for any other pap I am trying to stick together.

I prefer using the mini Kreg jig to the UJK full on jig I have; the screws fit better in the Kreg holes for some reason.

Theres a UJK mini jig available. I have it and if you clamp it firmly then it's a decent bit of kit.

Avoid the Axminster pocket hole drill bits, however. They can't seem to figure out how to stop the bit snapping at the point where it becomes thinner. Get a cheap Chinese one off ebay, I believe there are sellers importing them and selling them from the UK for a few pence more (and faster delivery) they come with the little attachment (collet?) to stop you drilling too far. I had two UJK ones which snapped within a days use, and my eBay one has lasted a year or so.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back