Kreg (and other) pocket hole jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I do quite a few kitchen cabinets. I only used birch ply now, I hate the smell and dust of MDF, and have never considered letting any chipboard near my tools
Anyway, I used to use biscuit joints, but fouind they were not accurate enough. Thought I would get a Kreg jig and try pocket screws. Took a little while to get used to it, but now I know how to get the best out of it I use it all the time. I all depends on the material you are using. Quality stuff like birch ply takes screws well, so pocket hole joints are very strong.
I learned that the best way to join two cabinet parts together is to clamp them up tight in all directions before inserting the screw. Before fully tightening I use my position adjuster (AKA Stanley Steelmaster hammer) to get everything lined up perfectly. Then, tighten up, in with the screws and on to the next joint. No need to wait for glue to dry. Its no wonder pocket screws are widely used by USA kitchen makers (who use a lot of ply for carcases)
John

John,

I bought my Kreg to do some ply cabinets (not fine furniture but something robust and needed in a hurry). It got the job done but I was never very pleased with the registration of faces. Pulling the joints up tight with the screws always seemed to pull some pieces slightly out of alignment even with quite a few clamps on the job.

Is there a secret that I missed?

waterhead37":2v1bxrzw said:
Pulling the joints up tight with the screws always seemed to pull some pieces slightly out of alignment even with quite a few clamps on the job.

Is there a secret that I missed?

I did experience that problem to start with. What I do now is make sure that I have all the clamps done up tight, so tight that I have to back them off slightly in order to carry out adjustments with the hammer. I also make sure that the pieces are securely held in every direction, especially in the direction in which the screw will pull them.
I think the pocket screws are worth persevering with, I haven't found any other joining system that is capable of such accuracy ( as long as nothing moves!)
John

I have to say fellas that I used to use them for making all the theatre sets I used to build........worked a treat. I used to use biscuits too but found it just too much of a faff and changed to the kreg. I also use the robinson head screws too.....it stops people taking the sets apart, which they used to!!

SimonA

I have been using a Kreg jig for a couple of months and have found it very handy but Carroll Tools, whom I bought it from, only sell the fine thread screws. Has anyone found a UK source for the Kreg course thread screws?

Regards,

Barry.

Trend do screws for their P/Hole jig, not sure of thread size. Axminster also do a version.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel,

I have tried Trend and Axminster but the pocket hole screws they supply
are fine thread.

Regards,
Barry.

Barry,

Loathed as I am to suggest them as a supplier, Rutlands seem to have them. Although now I look at your request again, I see they're not "Kreg" ones, but I don't know enough about pocket hole jigs to know how important that is. :?

Cheers, Alf

Brimarc now have the agency for Kreg jigs and their prices are much much lower than Caroll's. They also supply the full range of Kreg screws - course and fine thread.

Latest posts

Back