Knowledge of old Kitchen vents needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this:

vent.jpg

It needs cleaning...

Can anyone advise how the thing should be demounted?

I've tried pushing the obvious buttons on the sides, but nothing "unclipped", and I'm nervous of pushing harder, since old plastic can be brittle.

The front unit can rotate through about 60 degrees either side of vertical, but that doesn't unclip anything either.

Knowledge welcomed.

BugBear

Morning BB

I had a similar fan at our last place.

I had to push the button in below the inside surface of the case to release it. HTH.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":20r7hshs said:
Morning BB

I had a similar fan at our last place.

I had to push the button in below the inside surface of the case to release it. HTH.

Cheers

Dave

Wow. I've pushed them "quite hard", and they don't (want to) go anywhere near that far.

BugBear

probably what you already know but just in case - usually the front (black/brown bit) clips off or is held by tiny screw(s) through the top/ sides, revealing access to clamps that go through hole to outer piece to hold the lot in place. I suspect its probably become less flexible with age (like us all!) . :(

Hi Bugbear

That's how it comes off (though occasionally there is a semi recessed screw). they tend to get "glued" together by kitchen grease over the years.
Just be persistant. - Treat it like the missus - gentle but firm :lol:

Bob

Turns out there was a tiny screw under the lower edge.

Removing this allows the front grill to be opened from the bottom, and thence removed.

This reveals two slotted screw heads mid left and right; these can be undone, which releases tension on the clamping system, allowing the fan to be removed.

The buttons, visible externally are very unusual. You don't push them to REMOVE the fan. You push them IN when fitting - this pushes two teeth into engagement under a ring on the window fitting. Doing up the screws then applies tension.

So when the fan is fitted properly the buttons are flush. When you loosen the screws, the buttons release.

The fan is a model 150 (not the VA 150, just plain 150).

Hope this helps someone else googling in future.

BugBear

Back