Knotty problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all , I've just started to learn the art of woodturning ( although I've had my lathe for a year :oops: ) I made the candlesticks as a first attempt and have learned quite a bit by making mistakes and watching youtube videos, and as Christmas decorations I'm quite happy with them, although they would not bear up to close scrutiny. They are made from a.w.o and a.b.w which didn't have any knots, however, now I am playing with a piece of softwood ( which does have knots ) I wondered if there were any tips you kind folks could give me as I am a bit concerned about blunting my tools and taking chunks out of the piece. Also in the pics you will see the roughing gouge I am using .
PC260089.jpg
PC260090.jpg
slide0022_image034.jpg
PC260092.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Davon

The first thing is that when you turn wood you will blunt your tools and they will need sharpening. The frequency will depend on the wood. To turn wood with knots in, especially pine, won't blunt them any quicker really from what I have seen. It is very important to keep your tools sharp and with knotty wood just take light cuts too and you shouldn't have too many problems :mrgreen:

Back